WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    2001 Campogiovanni (San Felice) Brunello di Montalcino
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2001 Campogiovanni (San Felice) Brunello di Montalcino
 Login/Join 
posted
  • 2001 Campogiovanni (San Felice) Brunello di Montalcino - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (7/13/2007)
    Birthday Dinner #1 w/ basecadet & mimik (Toba Restaurant, Toronto, Canada): Not decanted. Popped and poured; consumed over two hours. Medium-dark ruby colour. Juicy, brooding nose showing aromas of currant, minerals, black licorice, black plums, and a hint of raisin. Full-bodied, really juicy, with crushed red berry fruit, coffee, and plums. Very firm tannins. Moderate finish, ~35s, with minerals and red fruit. So very young - still showing lots of baby fat. This has plenty of potential, especially if the 1999 version is any indication. 91+ points. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Posts: 10917 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
  • 2001 Campogiovanni (San Felice) Brunello di Montalcino - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (1/3/2011)
    This has been relatively approachable of late and this bottle showed quite well. Nose of dark fruit and ripe blackberry with cedar hints and vanilla. The palate was very dense with a medium acidity. Medium finish. Could age a bit more but nonetheless enjoyable. Paled in comparison to the 1999 Cerretalto. (91 pts.)

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com

Posts: 6613 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
  • 2001 Campogiovanni (San Felice) Brunello di Montalcino - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (12/7/2012)
    Not decanted. Slow-ox'd for three hours. Ruddy burgundy/garnet colour with some bricking at the rim. Pretty nose of sottobosco, prunes, dried black cherries, black tea, anise, dried figs. Full-bodied, with a nice, lush texture. Fine tannins integrating nicely but still gives a bit of chalkiness on the finish. Good balance with black fruit and more evolved tertiary notes both present at this time. Moderate-long finish ~35-40s. With a few hours of air, the chalkiness on the finish dissipated, making for a more complete wine. Really enjoyable stuff. Drink now-2020. (92 pts.)

Posts: 10917 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post