WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    2005 Paolo Scavino Bric del Fiasc Barolo
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2005 Paolo Scavino Bric del Fiasc Barolo
 Login/Join 
posted
Found a couple of cases at quite a good price recently, stock reductions for cash flow. My cash, their flow.

A dark Barolo, very closed. I drank about half the bottle last night, having opened it that morning. Tight, ungiving, tannic, hinting of its future. Impossible to rate other than saying this needs a few more years.

Tonight, nose a bit more open with tarry cherry and underbrush, earth and a powerful high toned acidity. Still very primary for bdf. There is a tart cherry sherbet intensity that sits at the back of the mouth that just lingers and lingers for a long finish. Tannins are very much there, dry at first then savoury, and the wine gives you the hints of what it will be. There is an 'otherness' to it, umami or some kind of taste that tells you this will be great. This is many years off of its complex best, I would say 94-95 pts right now, but with great potential.

BirD

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BirDungy,

must not buy any more wine, must not buy any more wine... DOH!!!!

Posts: 1113 | Location: London,UK | Registered: Mar 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow. 95 with great potential sounds like it's an awesome wine. Maybe I should get in touch the next time I'm coming to London....

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3482 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This wine will be awesome at some point in the next 5 years, I am certain.

A - will be happy to meet up next time you're here.

BirD

Posts: 1113 | Location: London,UK | Registered: Mar 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love this producer. Never had a bad Barolo from him. Had the 2001 Bric del Fiasc at a WS Grand Tour tasting.

VM

Posts: 12286 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
VM
Completely agree, great producer, and wonderful hosts. We visited last May for a tour and tasting, so friendly and welcoming. Their Baroli are distinctively different from their various crus, yet share a distinctive style across them that I really love.

How was the 01 BdF? TN please!

posted Hide Post
It was very young and not showing it's full potential but still outstanding.

2001 Paolo Scavino Barolo Bric dël Fiasc - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (7/1/2005)
I tried this wine at the WS Grand Tour in Las Vegas about 2 months ago. A sweet floral nose. There seemed to be more fruit on the nose than on the palate indicating that the wine will need some time to open. Dry with notes of black fruit and currant. Lean finish. 91 points.

VM

Posts: 12286 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post