WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    2005 Forey Vosne-Romanee
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2005 Forey Vosne-Romanee
 Login/Join 
posted
Tasted 10/12/07.

Not cheap for a village Burg at $45, but that seems to be the new way of things in Burgundy, and at least here the quality lived up to the price.

Nice nose w/dark fruits & spices, earth, tiny hint of poop, well-concentrated w/firm tannins that only come in at end of finish, very strong effort.
92 pts.

Posts: 2475 | Location: L.A. | Registered: Mar 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Opened a bottle tonight alongside several other Burgundies. A very modern-style with deep color, almost kirschy nose, very tannic, hard to even identify as Pinot, youthful & shows potential but still anonymous.

This is a lesson in how difficult it is for a non-expert like me to gauge young Burgundy. As a young wine, it showed plenty of stuffing and potential... but it hasn't gone anywhere interesting. Indeed, it might still improve with more bottle age, but only in the context of being a generic "red wine". As a Vosne-Romanee, it is simply too modern-style to display much typicity or Burgundy character.
87 pts.

Posts: 2475 | Location: L.A. | Registered: Mar 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
VS

I don't know the maker at all but judging from the vintage and its time of life, I would gather this is just typical awkward aged burgundy. Give it 3 more years and you probably get magic.

I just opened a 2001 Vosne by Grivot, last bottle of a case. Yes, I opened the other 11 too early, this was beautiful and just right.

BirD

must not buy any more wine, must not buy any more wine... DOH!!!!

Posts: 1104 | Location: London,UK | Registered: Mar 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post