WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    2006 Zilliken Ockfener Bockstein Riesling Kabinett
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2006 Zilliken Ockfener Bockstein Riesling Kabinett
 Login/Join 
posted
Opened one of these with the turkey tonight.
It has what I love about the German rieslings, that ability to taste so fresh and lively for so long. At 6 years, this is still a baby.
Color is yellowish gold. With a lot of lights overhead, it looks shiney/brassy in the glass. Nose is tart pineapple with just a tinge of petrol. On the palate I get more pineapple, turning to passion fruit, with an undercurrent of grape skins. Then lending to creamy lemon curd toward the end. Finish is a bit short at 10 seconds or so. Still, I enjoy this a lot, as I do all of Zilliken's lineup.
92 pts.

A father is someone who has pictures where his money used to be.

Posts: 6742 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is an excellent score for a kabinett (especially for a 2006 which was not among the best vintages in that decade). Still have one Zilliken Spatlese from the 2003 vintage in my cellar which I may crack open next year.

VM

Posts: 12166 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Zilliken seems to be a solid producer year in and year out, imo.

A father is someone who has pictures where his money used to be.

Posts: 6742 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post