WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    TN: Once in a Lifetime...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TN: Once in a Lifetime...
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My bad.....just checked the menu.....it was the 2000 not the 2002

Posts: 1127 | Registered: Apr 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wonderful notes and thanks for sharing this experience with the rest of us.

Sorry to hear of all of the cork issues. I am sure this has happened to all of us when tapping into a 20-30+ year old bottle.

For this reason, I just picked up one of these. I have not used it yet, but it looks promising for future events.

Posts: 1541 | Location: Pacific Palisades, CA | Registered: Feb 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wine doc:

Sorry to hear of all of the cork issues. I am sure this has happened to all of us when tapping into a 20-30+ year old bottle.

For this reason, I just picked up one of these. I have not used it yet, but it looks promising for future events.

We had this and used it on all of the old bottles...the corks were really tough to get at though...you would think you were in with the screw portion and move in with ah-so and it would push down or shred....
that is a cool opener for sure though

Posts: 1127 | Registered: Apr 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ubeLgY4vWA

this is the only guaranteed way of extracting a cork without having to worry about the integrity.

worked on 80 + yr old bottles ;-)

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11635 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WOW!

Posts: 1117 | Location: The OC | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Canada:
quote:

We had this and used it on all of the old bottles...the corks were really tough to get at though...you would think you were in with the screw portion and move in with ah-so and it would push down or shred....
that is a cool opener for sure though

I have one of the Durand openers and it has worked well on 40 year old bottles.... 100+ year old bottles - I can see that being a different story, especially with those really old sweet wines and the dried/chrystalized sugar in the cork.

Posts: 1794 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post