WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    TN: 2005 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco Riserva Pora
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TN: 2005 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco Riserva Pora
 Login/Join 
posted
  • 2005 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco Riserva Pora - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco (11/13/2012)
    Pretty but with one off-putting feature.

Dark ruby opaque in the center but mostly translucent. Nose was tobacco, licorice, red berry, and an unpleasant barnyard scent. (This barnyard scent is what was off-putting, but it's odd as I usually like barnyard scents. This however was unpleasant.) The barnyard scent went away after about 90 minutes. On the palate, less of the red berry, but still tobacco and licorice, and an appealing gravelly minerality. Tannins are a little bit rough still. Medium-length finish.

Posted from CellarTracker

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3433 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the TN!
Did the barnyard completely blew off, or did it remain in the background?
It could be an off-bottle though. I have never noticed any barnyard with the Montestefano and Rabajà of the same vintage.

Albert Jochems
- life is to short to drink bad wines -

Posts: 719 | Location: The Netherlands | Registered: Aug 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You're Welcome.

By the end of the bottle it was completely gone and the wine was really pretty. Odd.

And it was also odd that the barnyard was not pleasant which it usually is, to me. I don't know if it was actually a little different than what I usually identify as barnyard, or it's just that I don't expect that in nebbiolos.

It was the only bottle of the Pora I had (got in a clearance), but I have a couple bottles each of a few other single vineyard bottlings from '05. I'm thinking I'll sit on those for another 2-3 years before opening. Does that sound right to you?

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3433 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the Montestefano '05 last year. I didn't write an extensive note. Only "slightly better than the '04" and put the drinking window at 2015-2025.
I'm not so familiar with the Pora, but based on some other Barbaresco I had (most notably Sottimano) I would most certainly leave them in the cellar for a few more years.

Albert Jochems
- life is to short to drink bad wines -

Posts: 719 | Location: The Netherlands | Registered: Aug 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post