WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    Grape Nuts Holiday Magnum Tasting vintages '86-'98 w Caymus SS, Chapoutier, Rauzan
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grape Nuts Holiday Magnum Tasting vintages '86-'98 w Caymus SS, Chapoutier, Rauzan
 Login/Join 
posted
Holiday Event for The Grape Nuts:
2013 Magnum Tasting

1998 Antinori Guado al Tasso (1.5L)

Very aromatic nose with lots of floral scents. Abundant black cherries that became almost jammy after the first hour. Very decent length. Wine did seem to tail off over next couple of hours.

1986 Ch. Rauzan-Segla (1.5L)

A very faint nose of plums and beets. Slight thinning along the edge but not brick tint. Palate of violets and cassis, licorice and plums, all very intricately welded. Soft, blended tannins. Best balanced wine of the evening. A very close runner up for WOTN honors.

1995 M. Chapoutier Ermitage "Le Pavillon" (1.5L)

Barely discernable nose. Under ripe strawberries dominated by pepper and mineral finish. Disappointing and never really did develop over next couple of hours. Perhaps this was opened many years too early.

1997 Caymus Special Selection (1.5L)

Highly aromatic nose. Intense flavors of ripe raspberries and blackberries. The refined nuances of black cherry preserves. A long deep core of fruit. Moderately intense vanilla tannins that were nearly seamless.
WOTN for myself and for the group.

1995 Pahlmeyer Proprietary Red (1.5L)
Primarily red cherries and herbs. Not very complex. Almost similar to sangiovese wine. Tannins still overshadow fruit. Impression is that it needs more time.

1985 Dow's Vintage Port

Rich brandy and molasses. Slightly phenolic finish.

Now while we didn't open up 750's of same labels I did locate tasting notes for a few of these wines that were dated approximately six to eight years ago thanks to the archive function on WS Forums. It seems to me that these wines on this date were drinking very similar to their 750 counterparts from at least 6 years ago. Also members of the group had some recollection of some of these wines in regular format from recent years and everyone seemed to agree these magnum wines were aging more slowly.

I didn't own any mags in my cellar until this tasting but it has really been educational and I ordered my first mags last week, the '07 Caymus SS.

Speaking of the Caymus, our magnum was
advertised as having some wine seepage from under the capsule and onto the label. When I talked to the spokesman for the company from whom I purchased it, the explanation was that some mags will seep a little soon after bottling due to increased pressure behind the cork and more often than not the wine is just fine and not going to be oxidized.

I apologize my notes are somewhat briefer than usual. On this particular evening, January 12th, 2013 I was by default Master of Ceremonies and also giving an introduction to each wine so my attention was quite divided.

Ardeis in Seminole

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ardeis,

Posts: 425 | Location: Seminole, Florida | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post