WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    2003 Pio Cesare Barolo
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2003 Pio Cesare Barolo
 Login/Join 
posted
Very light ruby in color. In the mouth very light texture but nice flavors of strawberry, cherry and blackberry. It smelled of red fruits with a mineral note. Surprisingly soft light elegant wine. I was expecting a more rich concentrated wine. 90 pts.

Posts: 9476 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am also unimpressed with my 2003 Barolos. It was a decent vintage. How were the tannins, still ripping your gums apart? I'd say leave the Barolos for another few years but the Pio Cesare Barbaresco might be drinking well by now.

Posts: 296 | Location: St. John's, Newfoundland | Registered: Mar 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
  • 2003 Pio Cesare Barolo - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (6/15/2012)
    Decanted one hour. Medium ruby colour with some orange flecks. Aromas of mint, smoke, tar, leather, roses, and crushed blackberries burst from the glass. Full-bodied and well-balanced with good acidity and nicely integrated tannins. Tar, mint, leather, blackberries, and minerals on the palate through to a solid, 35-40s finish. This wine exceeded my expectations. I was expecting a good wine, but not a great wine. The winery did an excellent job managing the vintage, as if I was served this wine blind, I would never guess that it was from the 2003 vintage. Really, really great job. This wine will drink well for the next 5-6 years at a minimum. Drink now-2018+. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Posts: 10934 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good to hear they did a great job in such a hot year. I have a soft spot for Cesare Barolo's. Thanks for the TN.

IW

Life without wine?...... Yeah Right.
The Unexamined Life Is Not Worth Living - Socrates
"Wine....offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than possibly any other purely sensory thing which may be purchased" ERNEST HEMINGWAY (1889-1961)

ITB

Posts: 5040 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: Nov 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My pleasure. I'm glad I have more!

Posts: 10934 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
  • 2003 Pio Cesare Barolo - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (12/3/2012)
    Opened for about an hour before drinking but not decanted. Some bricking at the rim.

If the finish were longer this would be really terrific. Nicely balanced combination of dark fruit, earth, tar, some smokiness, spicy producing a tingling sensation in the mouth. This is in a really nice place right now.

Posted from CellarTracker

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3496 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had this wine, at a friend's house, on sunday night. We decanted for a full hour, poured back into the bottle for travel, and splashed decanted when we got to our friends.

This wine showed amazingly well and just kept opening up, with more and more fruit with a longer finish, as the night went on. SF 93 pts

Posts: 1896 | Registered: Jul 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup, it's a really nice wine. Much better than I was expecting from 2003! The freshness that the wine showed was key.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by futronic:
Yup, it's a really nice wine. Much better than I was expecting from 2003! The freshness that the wine showed was key.

Have you had the 2004? If so, how does it compare?

"But, if ye wish her grateful prayer,
Gie her a haggis!" -Robert Burns

Posts: 1671 | Location: Traded Paradise for the frozen Finger Lakes | Registered: Feb 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't opened any bottles of the 2004 yet. Based on the vintage, I think it needs more time in the cellar. Sorry haggis.

posted Hide Post
Opened a bottle of this last night based on some of the recent notes. Beautiful and paired well with wild mushroom and duck risotto, but as Sandy says above, it got better with air time. The last glass was the best.

I'll hold my other bottle for a couple of years to see where it goes.

Posts: 10186 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of bottles of 2003 and at leat 4 of the 2004. Anyone try the 2004 recently?

Going where the water tastes like wine

Posts: 740 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Jul 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 04s should be fine. I have had several much higher end Barolos than Pio Cesare and they have been fantastic.

www.twincitieswinetasting.com

Posts: 451 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post