WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    TN: 2003 Paolo Scavino Barolo Bric dël Fiasc
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TN: 2003 Paolo Scavino Barolo Bric dël Fiasc
 Login/Join 
posted
  • 2003 Paolo Scavino Barolo Bric dël Fiasc - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (2/14/2013)
    Decanted for about 90 minutes before serving with Osso Bucco.

Slightly cloudy, nice reddish brown barolo color.

Really, really beautiful wine. Flowers and tar on the nose, with strong floral and soft tar scents. Reversed on the palate with some stony minerality. Smooth. Mouthwatering acidity. Very long and pretty finish with maybe a touch of anise showing up at the end. In a nice place.

Posted from CellarTracker

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3472 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting notes. I just had this last week and my bottle didn't seem to show as well as yours. I decanted 2 hours before drinking, and even after 4 hours in the decanter, it was till pretty tight & tannic. I got strawberry and earthiness on the nots, but the taste was still mostly tannic and oak. I gave it 89 points, but was a bit bummed based on some other notes that made it sound more ready to go.

Posts: 3183 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw your note on CT and was hoping you just didn't like Barolo or something. Ours was nice. It might have been interesting to see if it developed as the evening went on, but it didn't last that long. The only criticism I had of it was on opening it seemed a little heavy for Barolo but when we were drinking it I didn't think that.

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3472 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
I saw your note on CT and was hoping you just didn't like Barolo or something.

I'm still getting a feel for Barolo. I've really liked the Pio Cesare I've had, as well as a couple different vintages of the Scavino Carobric. But, I've been a bit less enthused about some others, such as Boroli Villero, Seghesio La Villa and Scavino's base bottling. However, most of all those have only been tried once, so I've got a lot more tasting to do for the region.

Posts: 3183 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We should organize a Barolo offline.

- Milton