WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    1999 Castelgiocondo Brunello
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
1999 Castelgiocondo Brunello
 Login/Join 
Member
posted Hide Post
I've been thinking about this for a while, and finally curiosity got to me. I decanted a bottle this morning.

This is very dark, verging on inky with dark ruby at the edges. Reticent nose, suggesting more mineral than fruit, some violets; still tight, but loaded with plum and mineral flavours, faint hints of espresso, fills the midpalate; very long finish, tannins and fruit fight for a while-- call it a draw for now. Needs a lot of time, but this has lots of stuffing. 90+ pts., and I guess we'll know how + in a few years. I don't think I'll open another for at least 3 years.

I'll try to remember to put a few ounces aside until tomorrow, but I'm not able to equate what I'm drinking now with some of the comments above. This is a fairly intense wine.


___________________________

Cheers!
 
Posts: 8624 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Seaquam,
I bought 6 bottles upon release and have left them to sleep. From what I can gather, this wine needs 5 years or more. Despite some comments from respectable forumites, many experts (not just JS) have scored this wine in the mid 90's. Hopefully, patience will pay off in this case. I could think of few things better than opening these with you and your wife (and the TWC, of course) in 2010.
BTW, the next Canadian Pediatric Society annual meeting is in Vancouver in late June, but I'll be vacationing in the Alps and unable to attend. I will make a serious effort to head out west and visit. Cheers!


Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
Posts: 5855 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
FWIW Thomases gave this wine 91 pts in this month's WA.


*******
Go Habs Go
 
Posts: 5568 | Location: Chicago | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
Seaquam,
I bought 6 bottles upon release and have left them to sleep. From what I can gather, this wine needs 5 years or more. Despite some comments from respectable forumites, many experts (not just JS) have scored this wine in the mid 90's. Hopefully, patience will pay off in this case. I could think of few things better than opening these with you and your wife (and the TWC, of course) in 2010.
BTW, the next Canadian Pediatric Society annual meeting is in Vancouver in late June, but I'll be vacationing in the Alps and unable to attend. I will make a serious effort to head out west and visit. Cheers!


Dok, there's some kind of big sports thing going on in my area in 2010, so I'm looking for a chance to get out of town and avoid it, but I'm sure we'll see each other before then to discuss it. Let me know any time you're headed this way...

BTW, we'll sort of be in the Alps just a couple of weeks after you-- we're spending two nights in Lucerne on the way to Venice, Tuscany, the Riviera, and a couple of weeks in Spain. I'm sure we'll have some notes to compare at the end of summer. We should do it somewhere between our two homes-- maybe Chicago.

And grossie-- you're invited too! Smile


___________________________

Cheers!
 
Posts: 8624 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Smile Can't wait to meet both of you "gentlemen".


*******
Go Habs Go
 
Posts: 5568 | Location: Chicago | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
had this with the mavbabe tonight. It was quite delicious. colour was violet in the middle and brown tinges at the edges. middle Mocha, violets, and a hint of minerality on the nose. very elegant to taste with hints of latte that linger in my mouth. I agree with the ratings. This is definately a good change from cali cab. It is a great wine that I will enjoy tracking its development.

mavratings: 95 points


Now....where's that Screwpull?
 
Posts: 1456 | Registered: Dec 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Mav,
That's good to hear since it was panned last year right after it's release from LCBO. My 6 are restfully sleeping, but if more notes like this ensue, I may have to try one.


Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
Posts: 5855 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
1999 Castelgiocondo Brunello

The 1997 Castelgiocondo Brunello was the best Brunello I've ever tasted and I tried of 20 different 1997 Brunellos. I have 3 1999's Castelgiocondo in storage, waiting to 2007 (best after year) and I just ordered 2 bottles of the 2001 as pre-arrivals from Zachy's. I tasted the 1999 last year and thought it was tight and tart and need a few more years of aging. I plan on drinking my one bottle of 1997 Reserva in 2008 on my 60th birthday. Long live Frescobaldi, even though they just sold some of their vineyards.
 
Posts: 47 | Location: Mt. Woodson, Ramona, CA. | Registered: May 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
Mav,
That's good to hear since it was panned last year right after it's release from LCBO. My 6 are restfully sleeping, but if more notes like this ensue, I may have to try one.


Let 'em sleep DoktaP!! 2010 aint' that far away!! Razz

PH
 
Posts: 15345 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
  • 1999 Castelgiocondo (Marchesi de' Frescobaldi) Brunello di Montalcino - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (3/8/2009)MTL BDM tasting 2009/03/07
    Initially, this wine was ok rather muted and not very expressive and I rated it 91 points. But over the course of the evening in a glass that I set apart, this wine really blossomed into something very special. There was an elegance and class to this wine that none of the other BDMs drank that night demonstrated. At first a vegetal nose but it took a back seat to spicy, black pepper notes of blackberry and plums and vanilla, More dark cherries and cedar notes as well on a palate that was so silky and smooth. The finesse reminded me of a top-notch Bordeaux or Burgundy. It was really nice and stole the show for me. Long mouth caressing finish. 94+ (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mimik,


***********************
"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com
 
Posts: 6648 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
This one just wasn't rocking my world, upon initial tasting, and I began scoring it 89 points. Good, but by no means great.
After a bit of time in the glass, it got to a '91' for me.

You nursed yours the longest, Mimik, and I believe liked it better than most.
Just serves to show, a bit, the stage of evalution these wines are going through right now.
 
Posts: 15702 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the notes. I think I'll hold a bit longer. Sounds excellent, but in need of more time. Just like Jim Croce sang, "time in a bottle".


Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
Posts: 5855 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
  • 1999 Castelgiocondo (Marchesi de' Frescobaldi) Brunello di Montalcino - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (10/30/2010)
    Dark ruby red, still purplish on the edge. Coming strait from the cellar, the nose was rather muted, after about 30 minutes the nose came alive with blackberries, some oak and sweet cherries. Much of the same on the palate with nice texture, the tannins were fine and starting to integrate as is the acidity. Very nice showing of this bottle, and beginning its life of the drinking well stage. Medium-plus length finish (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Vinaigre,


JL
 
Posts: 1681 | Location: Montréal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I still have my original 6 in the cellar, but looks like it's imminently approaching drinkability.


Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
 
Posts: 5855 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Thank Vinaigre for the note. That bottle was truly showing very well. I concur with your note but add that it had a bit of pruneyness on the nose in the beginning. Solid showing for the wine.


***********************
"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com
 
Posts: 6648 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vinaigre:
  • 1999 Castelgiocondo (Marchesi de' Frescobaldi) Brunello di Montalcino - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (10/30/2010)
    Dark ruby red, still purplish on the edge. Coming strait from the cellar, the nose was rather muted, after about 30 minutes the nose came alive with blackberries, some oak and sweet cherries. Much of the same on the palate with nice texture, the tannins were fine and starting to integrate as is the acidity. Very nice showing of this bottle, and beginning its life of the drinking well stage. Medium-plus length finish (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker


So, I take it no decant? Was is still cellar temp when you opened it? What do you think the window is for it to be at its peak? I only have one in my cellar and was wondering the best way to enjoy it.. and when. Thanx for the TN.. can't wait to enjoy mine. Cheers..
 
Posts: 838 | Location: Carlsbad | Registered: Apr 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, I take it no decant?

Popcorn
 
Posts: 4066 | Location: Alexandria, VA, USA | Registered: Oct 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lentini:
quote:
So, I take it no decant?

Popcorn


LOL! You're trying to push my buttons with that one, right? Razz
 
Posts: 10948 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
94pts? Really???? Anyone here dyslexic?
 
Posts: 5189 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
94pts? Really???? Anyone here dyslexic?


Hey, maybe you should try the wine before knocking it. Wink

Castelgiocondo is actually a very good wine. This isn't Banfi. It's a mass marketed brunello but a good one.


***********************
"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com
 
Posts: 6648 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by futronic:
quote:
Originally posted by Lentini:
quote:
So, I take it no decant?

Popcorn


LOL! You're trying to push my buttons with that one, right? Razz


Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin


Romeo and Juliet are together in eternity....

SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS - 2010 and 2012 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
 
Posts: 9636 | Location: Elk Grove, CA, USA | Registered: Dec 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
94pts? Really???? Anyone here dyslexic?


Hey, maybe you should try the wine before knocking it. Wink

Castelgiocondo is actually a very good wine. This isn't Banfi. It's a mass marketed brunello but a good one.

I did try it - and then I took the case back for a refund! I admit it was on release, but I can't see how this wine could have made such a turn-around. Maybe your patience paid off, but it's hard to believe. I'll have to try it again and see for myself!
 
Posts: 5189 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
94pts? Really???? Anyone here dyslexic?


Hey, maybe you should try the wine before knocking it. Wink

Castelgiocondo is actually a very good wine. This isn't Banfi. It's a mass marketed brunello but a good one.

I did try it - and then I took the case back for a refund! I admit it was on release, but I can't see how this wine could have made such a turn-around. Maybe your patience paid off, but it's hard to believe. I'll have to try it again and see for myself!


We'll chalk it down to differing tastes. You are not alone in your dislike of this wine.


***********************
"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com
 
Posts: 6648 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
quote:
Originally posted by on the wine:
94pts? Really???? Anyone here dyslexic?


Hey, maybe you should try the wine before knocking it. Wink

Castelgiocondo is actually a very good wine. This isn't Banfi. It's a mass marketed brunello but a good one.

I did try it - and then I took the case back for a refund! I admit it was on release, but I can't see how this wine could have made such a turn-around. Maybe your patience paid off, but it's hard to believe. I'll have to try it again and see for myself!


We'll chalk it down to differing tastes. You are not alone in your dislike of this wine.

Well, now you got me curious how time has treated it.
 
Posts: 5189 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I haven't had '99 Castelgiocondo for 4-5 years, but I thought it was a terrific though tight wine when I last tried it.

On a related note, WS vintage chart suggests the following for 3 outstanding vintages of Brunello:

1997 - DRINK OR HOLD
1999 - HOLD
2001 - DRINK

What I assumed from this is that JS thinks 1999 is more tannic than the other 2 years. Perhaps Castelgiocondo exemplifies this observation. In any event, I still have 10 bottles, and wasn't planning to open another for at least a couple years yet.


___________________________

Cheers!
 
Posts: 8624 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4  
 

WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    1999 Castelgiocondo Brunello

© Wine Spectator 2013