WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    2003 Bordeaux: A 10 Year Retrospective
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2003 Bordeaux: A 10 Year Retrospective
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I will try to open either a Lilian Ladouys, Caronne Ste. Gemme, or Puygueraud this week.

Punch it , Chewie!

Posts: 1388 | Location: Edmonton | Registered: Jul 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:
quote:
Originally posted by Primordialsoup:
It's been a decade, so why not have a look at how the 2003 vintage is progressing. If you have some 2003's in your cellar and would like to partake, please declare your bottle and share your thoughts. It was a warm season to be sure, so it will be interesting to see how these wines are developing. I will be uncorking a 2003 Château Malescot St. Exupéry sometime soon. Cheers.

I opened a double Mag of this up over the summer....it was drinking decent but needs time IMO

Next time try a quad, that might be ready.

Posts: 167 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: Jan 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robo Porker:
quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:
quote:
Originally posted by Primordialsoup:
It's been a decade, so why not have a look at how the 2003 vintage is progressing. If you have some 2003's in your cellar and would like to partake, please declare your bottle and share your thoughts. It was a warm season to be sure, so it will be interesting to see how these wines are developing. I will be uncorking a 2003 Château Malescot St. Exupéry sometime soon. Cheers.

I opened a double Mag of this up over the summer....it was drinking decent but needs time IMO

Next time try a quad, that might be ready.

Cute. I kind of did, I opened up 2 double mags actually as the occasion called for it. But I have 2 left and most likely will open them up for a similar occasion in 4 1/2 yrs. Ill let you know if they improve then Wink

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

Posts: 2791 | Registered: Nov 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2003 Clos Fourtet. Decanted four hours. Youthful burgundy shoe polish color. Aromas of cedar, smoke and hot stones. Lush, concentrated entry and mid-palate. Complex palate of licorice, cappuccino, leather and wood smoke. Lengthy, balanced finish. Fine tannins drift in to the finish. This is a winner. 93

Posts: 133 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: Dec 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only have a few options, and I've narrowed it down to either Gruaud Larose or Duhart Milon. I think I'll probably go with Gruaud Larose, but will have to go grab it out of offsite sometime in the next week or so.

Posts: 3325 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
  • 2003 Château Lagrange (St. Julien) - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien (1/11/2013)
    Outstanding.

This is in a very nice place. Opened it and poured off a glass, but did not decant. It did not throw any sediment. Early on quite minty but this dissipated over time. Blackberry fruit, and perhaps some red berry, slightly ripe. After awhile evolved into a bit of fresh tobacco then more of the classic cigar box nose. Crisp acidity. Dusty tannins. Longish finish.

Posted from CellarTracker

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3502 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a fair cache of 2003 red, white and sticky. But finding a free evening to open one will be the challenge right now.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3221 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will open a 2003 Domaine de Chevalier Blanc, hopefully next weekend and post.

Posts: 30371 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2003 Château Malescot St. Exupéry
Popped, decanted, and drank over 4 hours.
Short version: Light and ethereal with superfine tannins and great balance and a long satisfying finish.

Conversation piece: Upon opening was closed and probably a bit too cool. Some eucalyptus and menthol, but that could just be the alcohol coming through with little else in complement.
Hour 1: Warmer on the nose and in the glass showing a toasty spiciness. Still a bit tight but opening. More herbal and vegetal at this stage. Smooth gritty tannins. All in balance.
Hour 2: Darker warmer fruit coming through. This has rewarding flavors yet remains elegant on the palate. Just when it seems it will be chewy it melts off the tongue. A dustiness on a finish that evolves as it lingers. Plenty of acidity here. Should roll along nicely over the next 5-8+.
Hour 3: Paired with short ribs braised with cabernet and a roux. Just melts away in the mouth. An ethereal red. Some could describe this attribute as thin, but I see it as being light but fulfilling (in part due to the satisfying finish). Impressed by it having a weighlessness yet yielding plenty of fruit. Charcoal and cedar showing. All in harmony. Works really well with roasted brussels sprouts- great play between the char of the sprouts and the minerality/earthiness (graphite) of the wine. Finish continues to impress.
I was really looking forward to opening this as I have enjoyed the last two very much. This one did not disappoint. Excellent Chateau. Superb wine. I will likely seek out more and may even open the purse strings to acquire some 09's/10's.

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."

Posts: 1924 | Registered: Feb 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2003 Chateau Lilian Ladouys:

Popped and poured. The colour is a deep garnet at the core with the beginnings of bricking at the edge.

The nose features cherry as well as earthy and mushroomy mature notes, but the oak is a bit heavy handed.

On the palate, the wine is light to medium bodied, with a medium concentration of red fruit flavour. There is enough acidity to keep things fresh. The finish is pleasant but brief.

Overall, this is a nice everyday dinner red, but not particularly good value for the $40 I spent on it, and like many 2003s it's not quite stylistically correct for Bordeaux. Maybe because it's from the north, it's not over-ripe like some 2003's but the overdone oak treatment is distracting.

87 points.

Punch it , Chewie!

Posts: 1388 | Location: Edmonton | Registered: Jul 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Primordialsoup:
2003 Château Malescot St. Exupéry
Popped, decanted, and drank over 4 hours.
Short version: Light and ethereal with superfine tannins and great balance and a long satisfying finish.

Conversation piece: Upon opening was closed and probably a bit too cool. Some eucalyptus and menthol, but that could just be the alcohol coming through with little else in complement.
Hour 1: Warmer on the nose and in the glass showing a toasty spiciness. Still a bit tight but opening. More herbal and vegetal at this stage. Smooth gritty tannins. All in balance.
Hour 2: Darker warmer fruit coming through. This has rewarding flavors yet remains elegant on the palate. Just when it seems it will be chewy it melts off the tongue. A dustiness on a finish that evolves as it lingers. Plenty of acidity here. Should roll along nicely over the next 5-8+.
Hour 3: Paired with short ribs braised with cabernet and a roux. Just melts away in the mouth. An ethereal red. Some could describe this attribute as thin, but I see it as being light but fulfilling (in part due to the satisfying finish). Impressed by it having a weighlessness yet yielding plenty of fruit. Charcoal and cedar showing. All in harmony. Works really well with roasted brussels sprouts- great play between the char of the sprouts and the minerality/earthiness (graphite) of the wine. Finish continues to impress.
I was really looking forward to opening this as I have enjoyed the last two very much. This one did not disappoint. Excellent Chateau. Superb wine. I will likely seek out more and may even open the purse strings to acquire some 09's/10's.[/QUOT

Nice note. I agree it should hold up for 5 to 10 more yrs. just not too sure it will improve much. I'd recommend buying the 05'. I tasted it upon release and its the best from this house ever in my opinion. I have also tasted the 08 and 09'. Very nice wines but no comparison to the 05' IMO.

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

posted Hide Post
2003 Chateau Pibran

Decanted and drank over the course of the evening. Classic Pauillac nose with cedar and black cherry. No sign of age in the colour. Nice mouthfeel, but the mid-palate was a little thin. At one point in the evening, after being open a few hours, the oak became too dominant for my liking, but when re-visited an hour or so later it had faded. So the glass was very enjoyable.

For that change I'll keep my other bottle for a few years to see where it goes. I'd give it a 91.

Posts: 10245 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Marc, I am sitting on some '05's (&'06's) now and can't wait to open one. I may do so later this year. Love this Chateau. Will try the '10 next Monday in NYC at Unions des Grand Crus 2010 Grand Bordeaux Tasting (got my tickets through Zachy's). Is anyone going to that by the way? Would love to meet some of you there.

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."

Posts: 1924 | Registered: Feb 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2003 Chateau St Pierre

A bit too cold coming out of the cellar. So had to let it sit for 30 minutes on the counter while prepping dinner.

Color still the same deep dark purplish red, but there is a hint of bricking around the rim.

Nose is slightly muted but you can smell the hint of wet tobacco and ground dark roasted coffee beans. Not mcuh fruit there.

Silky but very noticeable tannins still. The mouthfeel is very muted but you can see some freshly crushed currants and roasted fennel hiding around. It finishes with clean notes of licorice and blackberries.

It looks like keeping this around the cellar on release at near 50 degrees really hasn't aged this at all.

i feel like it's in a dumb phase and would probably keep this around 5-7 more years before trying another.

NR.

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12468 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2003 Chateau Kirwan

After decanting, closed for the next 5 hours with only a slight hint of what may be underneath the mumu that was hiding everything. Don't have enough experience with Bordeaux to offer more insight as I am in the early learning stages.

Posts: 1891 | Registered: Sep 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never seen "mumu" in a tasting note before! Smile

Punch it , Chewie!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mitPradikat:

i think it's a mummy

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12468 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by mitPradikat:

i think it's a mummy

or an Australian cow....

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

posted Hide Post
2003 Valandraud

Still tight. Needed three hours in the decanter to open up. Dark fruit and vanilla on the nose. Drying on the finish at first - smoothed out after 3 hours. "International" in style (although I hate describing wine that way). Well made and probably better in a few years. For me - not worth the tariff.

G

Posts: 2104 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dinner with Otis, Grossie and Longboarder last night and we opened:

2003 Chateau Lagrange (VM91-92+)
2003 Ch. Lascombes (VM92-93)
2003 Ch. Canon-la-Gaffeliere (VM93)
2003 Leoville Barton (VM95+)
2003 Ch. Guiraud Sauternes (VM 92-93)

Full notes posted in the TN section.

VM

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Vino Me,

Posts: 12358 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Sparty:
I only have a few options, and I've narrowed it down to either Gruaud Larose or Duhart Milon. I think I'll probably go with Gruaud Larose, but will have to go grab it out of offsite sometime in the next week or so.

Only options I have are Gruaud Larose and Rol Valentin, and was planning on the RV if I can get around to it. Be interested to hear how the Gruaud is doing.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: eyesintime,

“Appreciating old wine is like making love to a very old lady. It is possible. It can even be enjoyable. But it requires a bit of imagination.”

Andre Tchelistcheff

Posts: 2831 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Jan 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eyesintime:
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Sparty:

Only options I have are Gruaud Larose and Rol Valentin, and was planning on the RV if I can get around to it. Be interested to hear how the Gruaud is doing.

I'd be interested to hear about the RV. I don't have any of it from '03 but I like their wines.

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3502 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Me:
Dinner with Otis, Grossie and Purple Purple Haze Haze (Longboarder) last night and we opened:

2003 Chateau Lagrange (VM91-92+)
2003 Ch. Lascombes (VM92-93)
2003 Ch. Canon-la-Gaffeliere (VM93)
2003 Leoville Barton (VM95+)
2003 Ch. Guiraud Sauternes (VM 92-93)

Full notes posted in the TN section.

VM

Posts: 2225 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: Aug 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Longboarder:
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Me:
Dinner with Otis, Grossie and Purple Haze (Longboarder) last night

I fixed it. When Otis sent me the invite email he said that PurpleHaze was coming to town. I called you by your real name all night and never asked about your handle assuming it was PH. My bad.

VM

Posts: 12358 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AML:
Dave popped a Pontet Canet a while back and while it was really nice, I think it would be much better in 10+ years. I wouldn't be opening any big boys at this point.

Oh boy.... I was hoping that I can consume a few bottles now in order to free up some space in my cellar for the coming 2010 vintage Confused

Thanks anyway for the info.

Posts: 68 | Registered: May 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post