WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    2003 Bordeaux: A 10 Year Retrospective
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2003 Bordeaux: A 10 Year Retrospective
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:
Like I said...Im just a amateur Smile

i still dont get what you mean by more bordeaux like though?

I would say that after 20 years of age on a cab, they go back to having that tobacco green pepper taste to them. Anyone would be hard pressed to tell a bdx or cali cab on a 20-30 yr old cab.

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11647 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Exactly...Bordeaux like, meaning the tobacco, lead pencil, mint....

Aged Cali Cabs are not in question here for me....New world Cali cabs, or "parkerized" wines of out Napa or Bordeaux are what I am referring to. The stewed flavors of the 03' Vintage in general (not all, as there are some 03's that still represent Bordeaux to me), is what I feel taste quite similar to some of those new world wines coming out of California.

With that said, my experience with recent vintages of Cali Cabs is anemic at best...not my cup of tea!

I have no issue with anyone liking 03' Bordeaux....like I originally posted, it "hits the spot" if I crave this style wine. They are well made wines, no doubt. Just not what I would consider Bordeaux...just my 2 Cents

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

Posts: 2723 | Registered: Nov 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Exactly...Bordeaux like, meaning the tobacco, lead pencil, mint....

Aged Cali Cabs are not in question here for me....New world Cali cabs, or "parkerized" wines of out Napa or Bordeaux are what I am referring to. The stewed flavors of the 03' Vintage in general (not all, as there are some 03's that still represent Bordeaux to me), is what I feel taste quite similar to some of those new world wines coming out of California.

With that said, my experience with recent vintages of Cali Cabs is anemic at best...not my cup of tea!

I have no issue with anyone liking 03' Bordeaux....like I originally posted, it "hits the spot" if I crave this style wine. They are well made wines, no doubt. Just not what I would consider Bordeaux...just my 2 Cents

i 'm simply saying that if you put 20 years of age on the 03 bdx and 20 years on an cali cab it would probably be hard to tell the difference between the two once the cab gets down to its secondary flavors.

the prevailing thought is that you buy the hotter vintages because they will retain fruit longer and drink the lesser vintages because they already taste like that.

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11647 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gman...I will be shocked if most of the 03' Bords show those characteristics....a handful or two will, but I dont think the majority that I have tasted will improve dramatically.

I have a decent amount from 03' so I hope Im wrong...and it will be fun to find out!

I will agree with you if we are talking the 2000 or 2005's however...

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Gman...I will be shocked if most of the 03' Bords show those characteristics....a handful or two will, but I dont think the majority that I have tasted will improve dramatically.

I have a decent amount from 03' so I hope Im wrong...and it will be fun to find out!

I will agree with you if we are talking the 2000 or 2005's however...

well, we certainly should put it to the test in 15 years time ;-)

i've got a few first and second growths sitting around from 03.

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

posted Hide Post
Im in!

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marcb

I think if you like the 03' you should love the 05'.

I love the floral component of typical Margaux wines as well....but I didnt pick up much of it in the 03' Lascombes, but can appreicate it in the 04' and 05'. I also got some oak in the 03' which wasnt present in the 04 or 05'.

If you enjoy the floral aspect of Margaux, try a 04' Malescot, classic Margaux nose.

I hope and assume you are correct about the '05 Lascombes. I have a few deep in my cellar, but I haven't tried any, and probably won't for a while. I haven't had many '04s, and I don't have any '04 Malescot in my cellar, but I have enjoyed the '00 Malescot and am looking forward to the 6-pack of the '05 when it comes closer to maturity.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3033 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk:
quote:

I love the floral component of typical Margaux wines as well....but I didnt pick up much of it in the 03' Lascombes, but can appreicate it in the 04' and 05'. I also got some oak in the 03' which wasnt present in the 04 or 05'.

If you enjoy the floral aspect of Margaux, try a 04' Malescot, classic Margaux nose.

I hope and assume you are correct about the '05 Lascombes. I have a few deep in my cellar, but I haven't tried any, and probably won't for a while. I haven't had many '04s, and I don't have any '04 Malescot in my cellar, but I have enjoyed the '00 Malescot and am looking forward to the 6-pack of the '05 when it comes closer to maturity.

Im big fan of Malescot....tasted on release and bought a case shortly after. Similar with the Lascombes. Agree....5 yrs or so before I start dipping into those. If our paths ever cross, Ill be happy to open up a 04' Malescot, I think you would enjoy it.

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk:
quote:

Im big fan of Malescot....tasted on release and bought a case shortly after. Similar with the Lascombes. Agree....5 yrs or so before I start dipping into those. If our paths ever cross, Ill be happy to open up a 04' Malescot, I think you would enjoy it.

does that path come through ny?

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

posted Hide Post
Indeed....I look forward to it sir.

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:

does that path come through ny?

It might. I'm not exactly sure where marcb7 is from, but I had thought it was somewhere in New England(?)

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3033 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i thoguht georgia

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

posted Hide Post
NH

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

posted Hide Post
2003 haut brion

Ex cellars

Still primal

Nose of lead pencils, ground cloves crushed red berries

The mouthfeel is silky tannins crushed red currants touch of blueberries

Tastes as young as on release

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried the '03 Grand Puy Lacoste?

Tempted to pick some up tonight, an educational endeavor may have to follow.

Posts: 156 | Location: Springfield MA | Registered: Jun 03, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tagheuer:
quote:
Originally posted by AML:
Dave popped a Pontet Canet a while back and while it was really nice, I think it would be much better in 10+ years. I wouldn't be opening any big boys at this point.

Oh boy.... I was hoping that I can consume a few bottles now in order to free up some space in my cellar for the coming 2010 vintage Confused

Thanks anyway for the info.

Well, finally curiosity prevails.

Popped and poured 2003 Pontet Canet during dinner at the local Keg restaurant. No decanting. Drank for the next 2 hours.

Color was deep black garnet.

Nose was rich with blackcurrant, cassis. But there were not so much of berries that I would expected.

On the palate, very typical Pauillac. Strong, structure, but less elegant than St. Julien that I normally fond of. Perhaps this is where Lafite shines as compare to other Pauillac producer.

Finish was short. There was nothing much to say.

The fruit was definitely there, as well as the tannis, so I think it can last for 5-10 more years easily. It's drinkable now so I won't hesitate to open one if you have a couple bottles left.

Was it a wine that wow me ? No.

But in its defense, it was one that I can enjoy drinking without having a sense of remorse. (i.e. save it for next generation, good future investment, etc).

And it was definitely a good wine to be drank with good company. 91 pts.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tagheuer,

Posts: 68 | Registered: May 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Way too soon to drink a Pontet Canet. One of the slowest aging Bordeaux's (and I can't stand Bordeaux for the most part).

Posts: 802 | Registered: Aug 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPBone:
I can't stand Bordeaux for the most part.

Eek

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36743 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Posted a note about the '03 Grand Puy Ducasse. It was surprising to me.

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3441 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our Sunday group theme a couple of weeks ago ended up being 2003 Bordeaux. Here are my notes from the double blind flight of wines, along with a nonblind taste of the '03 Sociando from magnum with dinner.

• 2003 Château Sociando-Mallet - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Haut-Médoc
    Deep color. Notes of tobacco, plum, currants, dark fruit and clay. Medium-bodied with flavors of plum, dark fruit and herbs. Medium finish. Tannins are integrating nicely. Develops a roasted bell pepper note and a chalky feel to the tannins.

My #3, Domino's #8
    Group #7, 63 pts (91 pts.)

• 2003 Château d'Armailhac - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac
    Garnet color. Aromas of iodine, tobacco and a mix of red and black fruit. Medium-bodied with softened tannins and flavors of cherry, tobacco, dark fruit and herbs. Picked up coffee on this one too. 91+ pts.

My #2, Domino's #7
    Group #4, 49 pts (91+ pts.)

• 2003 Château Pontet-Canet - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac
    Initially quite reticent, eventually displays notes of red fruit with a forest floor undertone, though very, very subtle. Currants, blackberries and dark fruit later on. Flavors of red fruit and currants, spices and roasted herbs with coffee notes emerging with time.

My #5, Domino's #1
    Group #3, 48 pts (89 pts.)

• 2003 Château Lagrange (St. Julien) - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien
    Garnet color. Aromas of coffee beans, dark fruit and herbs. Medium- to full-bodied with flavors of dark fruit, cherry and currants. Has a bitterness on the finish that I did not care for. 88+ pts.

My #7, Domino's #3
    Group #2, 45 pts (88+ pts.)

• 2003 Château du Tertre - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux
    Garnet color. Aromas of earth, herbs and clay. Nice mix of red and dark fruit on the palate, along with with bright cherry notes. Medium finish; nice balance.

My #6, Domino's #4
    Group #5, 57 pts (89 pts.)

• 2003 Château Smith Haut Lafitte - France, Bordeaux, Graves, Pessac-Léognan
    Garnet color. Aromas of iodine, red fruit, herbs and asphalt. Medium-bodied with notes of red currants, cherries and black fruit. Finishes very well with good length and balance. Textbook Graves. 92+ pts.

My #1, Domino's #2
    Group #1, 43 pts (92+ pts.)

• 2003 Lynsolence - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru
    Dark color. Aromas of chocolate and dark fruit, coffee and strawberry jam, turning ripe and slightly pruny as it sat. Medium- to full-bodied featuring flavors of dark fruit, strawberry jam and currants with a fairly long finish.

My #4, Domino's #6
    Group #8, 69 pts (90 pts.)

• 2003 Château D'Aiguilhe - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Castillon Côtes de Bordeaux
    Dark color. Aromas of strawberry jam, coffee and baked rhubarb pie. Medium-bodied with dark fruit notes on the palate. A bit simple.

My #8, Domino's #5
    Group #6, 58 pts

• 2003 Château Sociando-Mallet - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Haut-Médoc
    From magnum. Aromas of perfumed black fruit, soy, roasted mushrooms, plum and currants. Medium-bodied with flavors of dark fruit, plum and spice. (92 pts.)

Posts: 1559 | Location: St. Charles, IL | Registered: Dec 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    • 2003 Château Brane-Cantenac - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux (8/3/2013)
      Opened and poured into glass to sit for 45 minutes. Deep Red/Violet color. No signs of bricking, in fact this seemed young. Medium bodied, tannins have integrated but still primary Cabernet flavors. I would have guessed this was 80% Cabernet or more. Sweet pure focused fruit. Medium finish. While this is settled down and very drinkable I'm going to wait another 5 years to open the next one. (90 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Posts: 300 | Location: 90049 | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    2003 Grand Puy Ducasse
    This wine was really nice, decanted about one hour prior to serving. This comes as close to a serious Napa Cab (in a good way) as pretty much any Bordeaux I have tried, no doubt due to the vintage conditions. There was a good core of fruit, with mintiness and leather baseball glove on the nose. Nice balance and drinking very well right now. No need to wait. 93-94 points for me.

Stay thirsty my friends.

posted Hide Post
    From a dinner this weekend.

2003 Meyney
    Other than the Keenan, this probably improved the most throughout the evening. A somewhat reticent but nice nose of dust, herbs and black cherry. Initial tasting the tannins were winning the fight with the fruit, but not completely dominating. Nice structure really evolved into a very nice wine. Can be enjoyed with plenty of air, but I'd hold on these for at least another year. 91+ pts

“Appreciating old wine is like making love to a very old lady. It is possible. It can even be enjoyable. But it requires a bit of imagination.”

Andre Tchelistcheff

Posts: 2665 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Jan 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Did I miss something about part 2 of the 10 year retrospective? Wink

Posts: 3073 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    2003 Bordeaux: A 10 Year Retrospective

Funny, I was going to say the 2003 Pichon Baron should be showing some secondary notes which might put it ahead.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Jun 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post