WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    2003 Bordeaux: A 10 Year Retrospective
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2003 Bordeaux: A 10 Year Retrospective
 Login/Join 
posted
It's been a decade, so why not have a look at how the 2003 vintage is progressing. If you have some 2003's in your cellar and would like to partake, please declare your bottle and share your thoughts. It was a warm season to be sure, so it will be interesting to see how these wines are developing. I will be uncorking a 2003 Château Malescot St. Exupéry sometime soon. Cheers.

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."

Posts: 1898 | Registered: Feb 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you wanting these tasted and posted in January?

Posts: 30092 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's up to the taster. It would be nice to see a variety of Chateaux appear in the next few weeks, but over time I am sure several will be posted. Just trying to create a shared experience that will hopefully be fun and informative for those who wish to participate and for those that are curious to look in and see how the vintage is coming along.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Primordialsoup:
It's up to the taster. It would be nice to see a variety of Chateaux appear in the next few weeks, but over time I am sure several will be posted. Just trying to create a shared experience that will hopefully be fun and informative for those who wish to participate and for those that are curious to look in and see how the vintage is coming along.

Okay, trying to understand the goals and objectives. There was a time on this forum that we had a specific tasting of the month.

Posts: 30092 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think that would be a great thing to resurrect.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I think that would be a great thing to resurrect.

I seem to recall we ran out of host but not sure really.

I do know we had a few themes no one cared much about.

Looks like you have rejuvenated the idea. Smile

posted Hide Post
So, what will you be opening from that infamous beautiful cellar of yours?

posted Hide Post
quote:
So, what will you be opening

I'm not a fan of '03 Bordeaux in general, but did buy a few chateaus. Let me go look to see if I have any here at the house.

Report back soon.

posted Hide Post
P-Soup, red only?

posted Hide Post
i only have a haut brion and a mouton from 03 left =(

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12058 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
P-Soup, red only?

Whatever you like. No rules. Just a peek at the vintage.

posted Hide Post
I'll open a Lagrange.

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3474 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
But the 2003 harvest wasn't until Sept/Oct. The calendar says it's 10 years, but the wine has nearly another year ahead.

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2611 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dave popped a Pontet Canet a while back and while it was really nice, I think it would be much better in 10+ years. I wouldn't be opening any big boys at this point.

Posts: 1292 | Registered: May 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I opened a 2003 Lagrange on release and really liked it, for all the wrong reasons. It was big, forward and fruity. Interesting to see how it has evolved. Will dig one out. The rest of my few 2003s will rest a while longer methinks.....

PH

Posts: 15087 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will open a 2003 Domaine de Chevalier Blanc.

posted Hide Post
quote:
It's been a decade, so why not have a look at how the 2003 vintage is progressing. If you have some 2003's in your cellar and would like to partake, please declare your bottle and share your thoughts. It was a warm season to be sure, so it will be interesting to see how these wines are developing. I will be uncorking a 2003 Château Malescot St. Exupéry sometime soon. Cheers.

I opened a double Mag of this up over the summer....it was drinking decent but needs time IMO

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

Posts: 2745 | Registered: Nov 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also opened a Lascombes over the Christmas Holiday and this was drinking quite well for a Cali Cab Smile....I dont think it will improve much but should be fine for 5-7 more years IMO

I have several 03's....not my favorite 'style' of bordeaux but it satisfies a craving periodically.

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

posted Hide Post
03 Clerc Milon that we had over Christmas - very fruit forward and tasted like Cal. Cab but with Bordeaux nose. Was party of a vertical of 95, 97, 01, 03 and 05 (perhaps one or 2 other vintages). Very enjoyable

Posts: 5943 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Nice. I think I opened my last Carbonnieux (sp?) Blanc last year.

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3474 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will look through my 03s and see what I have. Probably not at peak, but I don't mind a little infanticide in the name of science.

----------
Sometimes I read a thread and think we ran out of stuff to talk about like 4 years ago. ~spo

Posts: 2921 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Jan 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2003 Château Petit Bocq - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Estèphe (12/26/2012)

Drank my last bottle at Christmas. No formal notes other than an opinion that this wine is about as good as it will get and there is no need to hold it any longer. 87 points.

VM

Posts: 12256 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Be curious how this compares to the 00' or 05' which are fantastic IMO.

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

posted Hide Post
i'm gonna see if i can source something to contribute to the cause...

Posts: 1007 | Location: Back in the 'burbs of D.C. | Registered: Feb 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll open a Chateau Pibran. Next time I have some dead red meat for dinner.

Posts: 10082 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post