WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    2005 Chateau Montelena Estate Cabernet Sauvignon
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2005 Chateau Montelena Estate Cabernet Sauvignon
 Login/Join 
posted
From a 375ml bottle. 14.2% alcohol. Initially the alcohol was front and center but this gradually disappated. Decanted for 1.5 hours. Black cherries in the nose, lots of fruit, lots of tannin but it seems balanced, a richer wine than what I am used to from Montelena. Needs several years. 93 points

Posts: 1661 | Location: Santa Rosa, CA, USA | Registered: Mar 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had this by the glass at a local place. I had the last of bottle that the bartender said had been open since lunch (so 5-6 hours). This is a very nice wine. Rich is definitely the right description. Tannins were still present, but not as bad as described by Pippin. lots of lush, dark fruits and a slight mocha overtone. I would agree with 93+ points and I would buy myself for home. Would love to see this in a few years.

Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance. - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 867 | Location: Bloomfield Hills, MI | Registered: Apr 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Opened one just to see how it is doing. I do not feel too much guilt when I open a 375ml early. Rich nose exploded from the bottle. Ripe black fruits, mouthcoating, big wine but elegant. Just needs time. Best drinking window is probably at age 10+. 94 points

Posts: 1661 | Location: Santa Rosa, CA, USA | Registered: Mar 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Decanted for 3 hours before having with burgers, then drank over the next 4+ hours. Aroma bit closed at first, but developed into plum, light oak and tobacco. Also get a bit of clove. Taste is really interesting in that it has plum and blackberry, yet is very light and has some oak. This was still going very strong after the 4 hour mark, so I think this has a lot of life left. 95 points.

Posts: 3279 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post