WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    2004 Columbia Crest Walter Clore Private Reserve
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2004 Columbia Crest Walter Clore Private Reserve
 Login/Join 
posted
Bordeaux style blend from WA (54% Cab.Sav., 46% Merlot). Started drinking after a 30 minute decant. Aromas of sweet tannins, cocoa, and possibly cedar. Is this a right bank bordeaux? Flavors of kirsch, dark berries, cocoa. Fair amount of oaky tannins on nice drawn out finish but the fruity style complements (and can handle) this. I saved a glass for day 2 tasting. Not much change but a bit of cola flavor is now coming out. Still super-duper. Bought cases of this from K&L for $18USD/bottle, smart move. What a smokin' deal. 90-91 pts in my book.

"One barrel of wine can work more miracles than a church full of saints." - Italian proverb.

Posts: 339 | Location: Carlsbad, CA., USA | Registered: Jul 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the notes! I saw a bottle of this that has been collecting dust at a local wine shop for a couple years. I think I might pull the trigger because it was relatively inexpensive.

Posts: 9262 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw plenty of these last time I was in Costco. I think they were around $20?

May you never go to hell, but always be on your way.

Posts: 6592 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good to see the price has come down. I've had the 1999, 2000 and 2003 with the most recent of these selling for about $35.

VM

Posts: 12051 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vino Me/others,

How have you found these wines to age? Beyond say eight or ten years? I haven't tasted one with more than 4-5 years on it (which I found delicious).

-IB

"Wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit."---Lindsay Bluth

Posts: 8848 | Location: The Circle City | Registered: Nov 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IndyBob,

Can't give you an exact answer but I can tell you this '04 has lots and lots of life left in it. Years and years. I'm sitting on the '05 also. Too bad its price isn't matching the '05 Columbia Crest Cab. Sav. Reserve!

"One barrel of wine can work more miracles than a church full of saints." - Italian proverb.

Posts: 339 | Location: Carlsbad, CA., USA | Registered: Jul 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No kidding! I only have a half case of the '05, and I think I'll bury it deeper in my wine locker.

-IB

Posts: 8848 | Location: The Circle City | Registered: Nov 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IB- Everytime I have had this wine it has been about 4 years after the vintage (mostly at retailer tastings). Never tried one with more age than that. Although one of the tastings was hosted by Doug Gore and I recall him saying that the Walter Clore will age (can't recall a recommended range though).

VM

Posts: 12051 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the 2003, 2004 and 2005 recently, I feel it has a lot to do with the vintage, and 10 years is pushing it a little. But at $20, it wont hurt to stash away 1 bottle for the experiment.

"Believe me, you can count on Slippery Pete" - Kramer

Posts: 1405 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Jun 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IndyBob, where is your wine locker.......

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Racer117:
IndyBob, where is your wine locker.......

Offsite storage here in Indianapolis, at a LWS.

-IB

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by indybob:
Vino Me/others,

How have you found these wines to age? Beyond say eight or ten years? I haven't tasted one with more than 4-5 years on it (which I found delicious).

They age very well in my experience. I've had several vintages (all tasty) and am down to my last bottle of a 1999. Had the last one (of 12) two years ago and it was still drinking well, if showing its age in an attractive way. I think many Washington Bordeaux blends age as well or better than their CA counterparts, especially dollar for dollar. I have Andrew Wills from '98 and '99 that are still full of fruit and ripe tannins. I should add though, that a '91 Togni blew everyone away in a blind tasting we had about six months ago. No one thought it could have been older than an '01 or '02.

Snag some '06 Ch.Ste.Michelle Canoe Ridge cab for under $22. I think both Jay and Harvey got it right. Tasty juice and bang for the buck.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: grapetherapy,

Posts: 32 | Registered: Nov 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wine will fool you, even when you're not full of it...

Posts: 32 | Registered: Nov 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Indybob - I've found the aging to be vintage dependent. The Walter Clore used to be Red Reserve. Some vintages age well. Others die. I've got some going back to 1994. At this point I'll go for 20 years.

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2461 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Opened up another one on Saturday night. Decanted and then took a quick sip. Wow. I would guess BDX (hot vintage perhaps). Strong tannins and acidity.

Revisited after an hour and obviously back to the New World. I just love the cocoa aromas I get out of this. Still lots of oak though perhaps not as much as a previous bottle I've had. Solid 91pts and very enjoyable.

posted Hide Post
First wine of many... on New Year's Eve. This was a great showing. The aromas and flavors were wonderfully layered. Along with the berries and kirsch, the secondary olive and cocoa flavors were stunning. Some of the almost excessive oakiness of other bottles was not present this time. Up a couple of points, 93.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Is this a right bank bordeaux?

Racer - it's a nice enough wine in most vintages although it can be kind of woody, but it's never a right bank Bordeaux IMO. Too ripe, too soft, too woody, lacks the tannins and the grip that you get w Bordeaux. Far better than the cheap ones and not nearly as complex or long-lived as the best, always New World.

I've kept some for a few years to see what happens with the oak and at 10 years, with the 2000 for example, the oak seems to have become more prominent.

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2461 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice note. I always find these wines needing some cellar time. I am still enjoying 01s, 02s which are in a good place right now.

www.twincitieswinetasting.com

Posts: 447 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GregT:
quote:
Is this a right bank bordeaux?

Too ripe, too soft, too woody, lacks the tannins and the grip that you get w Bordeaux.

You are far too magnanimous.

But, other than that, spot on. Big Grin

Posts: 29468 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wonderful. I recognize that this isn't for everyone but either way, the quality of this should be acknowledged. This bottle has an almost meaty savory first note to it and its soon followed with olive and spicy oak aromas. Similar flavors cross the tongue along with plum and black fruits. Complimentary (but borderline artificial) acidity dominates the long finish. 92pts.