WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    UGC tasting 2009 Los Angeles - 2005/2006 Bordeaux
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UGC tasting 2009 Los Angeles - 2005/2006 Bordeaux
 Login/Join 
posted
While last years event in San Francisco sponsored by K&L was full, it was still easy to get around and taste what all of the properties were pouring. This year I flew down to LA and went to the event sponsored by Wally's. It was a JOKE! Sold out, and packed solid. The event space was half the size of last years venue in San Francisco, with just as many, if not more people. Ventilation was terrible, nearly everyone was sweating and despite it being rainy, 60 degrees, and overcast outside the tent, it was at least 85 inside. The property reps./owners seemed overwhelmed, and some I talked to were disgusted that this was how these young wines were being sampled. I got around to quite a few wines, but gave up trying to fight the crowds, and missed many of the best properties. Two of the forumites I was with left the tent and went up to the bar for beers. Suffice it to say that the rest of the weekend was loaded for bear with plenty of good wine, so I cannot say I suffered in that category. Better luck to some of those attending UGC tastings in other cities. I'll be anxious to hear everyone else's thoughts and read their notes.

Overall....these wines were incredibly young, and most of the 2005's I tried were even more tannic, primal, and closed-in than last year when I had them. I recently read a brief comment by Neal Martin over on ebob from a 2005 tasting he was at and mentioned "10-20 years down the line, those Left Banks will be walking all over those Rights!". This year, what little I tried...I would agree with him. The rt. bankers were very closed and the left was showing much better. At the end of the day...I can't say that any of these wines blew my mind, or made me want to rush out and buy. A great year? Probably. Anything truly different here than modern day '96 left, '98 rt., '00, '03, or any host of upcoming years that I'm sure will also be "monumental"...Not IMHO. Especially for the prices these wines have commanded.

Here's what I have...

Canon La Gaffeliere 2006

Red fruits, cherry, lots of oak up front. Very young and tight, but not all that impressive. Normally I love this property. 88+? pts.

Canon La Gaffeliere 2005

Not nearly as showy as last year. Last year this was nearly confectionary. Today, much more closed in...darker than the '06, lots of oak, and black pepper/cigar spice. 91+ pts.

Angelus 2006

Not much showing here...red fruit, creme de cassis, lots of oak and light black pepper. 89 pts.

Angelus 2005

Soooo much less expressive than last year. This is seriously shutting down. We had the 2000 the night before and even that took nearly 3 hours to come around. Lots of oak here...darker than the 2006, black fruit, espresso grounds and very tight. 93+ pts.

Ch. Dassault 2006

Violet, red/black fruits, and lots of oak. 89 pts.

Ch. Dassault 2005

Nice perfume. Violets, dark red cherry/blackberry, tannic. 91 pts.

Ch. Figeac 2006

Red fruit. An odd salinity to this...somewhat thin, and uninspiring. 87 pts.

Ch. Figeac 2005

More midsection than the 2006, longer finish, and deeper fruit. 90+ pts.

Larcis Ducasse 2006

Open for business. Lovely red florals and violet on the nose. Creme de cassis, toasty oak, and dark cherry compote. Very good. 92 pts.

Larcis Ducasse 2005

Darker than the 2006, and more shut down. Deeper and more structured with plenty of oak. 92+ pts.

Pavie Macquin 2006

Nice...open with lovely red perfume. Again...oak and red fruit. 90 pts.

Pavie Macquin 2005

Deeper than the 2006....more of everything. 92+ pts.

Troplong Mondot 2006

One of my favorites properties of the event. Great nose of crushed red rose, and dark red fruits. Nice entry but the finish clamps down....very young. 92+ pts.

Troplong Mondot 2005

Dark...deep and brooding. Rich fruit, toast, oak, and mocha. Long and tight. 94+ pts.

Gazin 2006

Nice red fruit, chocolate, crushed rock and red florals. Good wine. 91 pts.

Gazin 2005

Darker in color than the 2006. Deeper fruit, a bit of volaitlity, more toasty oak and chocolate. Quite good. Tannic. 92+ pts.

Clinet 2006

A bit disjointed. Soapy cherry, mineral, and oak. 88 pts.

Clinet 2005

Much better than the 2006. Even keeled, and a nice Pomerol from start to finish. 91+ pts.

Ch. Prieure-Lichine 2006

Very open. Sweet red fruit, vanilla bean, and new oak. 91 pts.

Ch. Prieure-Lichine 2005

Not as much on the nose as the 2006, but this had deeper fruit and a fuller palate. Drinking very well right now. 91 pts.

Brane-Cantenac 2006

Nice wine. Forward with dark red fruit and new oak. Good acidity. 91 pts.

Brane-Cantenac 2005

More concentrated than the 2006, but less light on it's feet and fresh. Still good. 91 pts.

Domaine de Chevalier Blanc 2006

Wow...very refreshing. Is it hot in here? Lime, grapefruit, chalk, and great acidity. Laser sharp focus and a nice palate cleanser. 92 pts.

Domaine de Chevalier Blanc 2005

Great nose here. I liked the structure of the 2006, but the fruit here is wonderful. Passion fruit, white peach, lychee nut and stone fruit. Mineral. 93 pts.

Domaine de Chevalier Rouge 2006

Sweet vanilla oak. Very open and approachable. Dark red fruit, milk chocolate and light toffee. Lovely wine. 92 pts.

Domaine de Chevalier Rouge 2005

A bit flabby and primal. Tannic, with mineral, dark red fruit and plum. 90+ pts.

Phelan Segur 2006

I've never really been a fan of this property...Earth, mineral, and red fruit. 88 pts.

Phelan Segur 2005

skipped

Lynch Bages 2006

Very nice. Another favorite of the tasting for me. Open and forward. Dark red cherry, creme de cassis, sweet oak, and red florals. 92 pts.

Lynch Bages 2005

Too many people...spent enough time just getting a pour of the 2006...skipped

Pontet Canet 2005

Another favorite of the tasting. Kirsch, dark red rose and blackberry perfume, violet, mineral, sweet earth, and blueberry. 93+ pts.

Pontet Canet 2006

Less of everything here, but still a nice wine. 90 pts.

Pichon Lalande 2006

Open and forward...Dark red fruit, fresh herbs, fresh mixed berries, and oak. Very good. 92 pts.

Pichon Lalande 2005

I'll have to side with Neal Martin here....nice wine. Young....dark red/black fruit, dried herbs, and toast. Very lush on the palate with sturdy oak and tannin on the back. One of the more expressive 2005's today. 93+ pts.

Ch. Grand Mayne 2005

Wow...what a surprise. Very open, lush, and forward. Lovely sweet black and blue fruit, mocha, chocolate, and toasty oak. A nice ending to the madness...93 pts.

So much wine.....so little time!!!

Posts: 7015 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Robert...any chance you can merge this with Pomerollvr's thread in Wine Conversations? Put it wherever you think is best. It would be nice to have everything in one thread as others weigh in.

Posts: 7015 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My personal preference is to keep tasting notes in the tasting notes section, where they belong. If it cannot be combined, maybe you can just cut and paste the entire other post into this, the proper section, and we can ignore the thread that is in the wrong place. Or have it locked.

Moo

Your share of the national debt has increased by $16.043.39 from 01/21/09 - 04/17/12. Have you wondered how high this would be if you had the wonderful Brit banking regulators instead?

When the federal budget deficit stands at $1.5 trillion, the spectacle of congressmen and senators waxing indignant about the irresponsibility of others is laughable.

Due to the recession and new environmental restrictions imposed by the EPA, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Posts: 1113 | Location: East BF, Egypt | Registered: May 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would agree....TN's here (that way they're easier to search for later on). I'll post his notes here, and people can discuss wherever they want to.

posted Hide Post
Pomerollvr's notes, cut and pasted from Wine Conversations....

quote:
What a great event! I had a blast tasting through an endless array of Bordeaux. Wally's did a very good job organizing the tasting. It was crowded and to taste the wines you wanted, you had to be focused. I wish the event had been an hour longer. Such is life. With over 100 Chateau pouring more than 200 wines, there was a lot to taste and discover...

Why were so many 05's poured by the producers? I imagine the chance to taste 05 brought a lot more people to the event to taste and hopefully purchase 06.

How were the wines? While many 05's were shut down and difficult to evaluate, a few still offered a lot excitement.

06 seems to have improved across the board since I tasted the wines shortly after bottling in June. Big, broad shouldered and in some cases, tannic, there were some very nice wines. Anyone who thinks 06 is a bad, weak or moderate vintage has not tasted the wines. It's not 05. But it costs a lot less and offers a nice array of wines worth owning.

I was able to taste almost every wine on my list. I missed a few. After the event, 12 of us got together at Campanile and tasted our way through about two dozen Bordeaux from 1982-2000 along with a pair of 05 Pomerol's! It was a nice way to spend the day immersed in Bordeaux heaven!

If anyone else attending the event in San Francisco, Los Angeles, New York, Chicago or Dallas wants to share their impressions on the wines, it would be fun and interesting to compare notes. I hope as many people as possible post comments or TN's. It should make for a lively thread.

Haut Médoc

05 Château La Lagune is a charmer. Clearly, this is the finest wine produced by this Chateau in my lifetime. Cassis, spice, blackberry and ripe dark cherry accents start off the very plush, elegant wine. Medium bodied. Very polished fruit. The long, clean fresh, fruit filled, finish is a pleasure. Based on tasting a few older vintages recently, 82, 89 & 90, I suspect the 05 will age very nicely. 93 Pts

06 Château La Lagune is very polished and easy to drink for an 06. This is made in a crowd pleasing likeable style. Similar to the 05, but not as deep, rich or concentrated. 90 Pts

Margaux

05 Château Kirwan is much more concentrated and complex than the 06. Deeper layers of fruit with additional complexity and polish are easy to discern. 92 Pts

06 Château Kirwan sports oak, floral and earthy aromas. Very tannic and broad shouldered. 90 Pts

05 Château Labegorce has spicy, earth and cassis notes. Tannic and a bit rustic or drying in the finish. 88 Pts.

06 Château Labegorce was very similar to the 05, but not as balanced and more rustic. 86 Pts

05 Château Lascombes kicks off with toasty wood, black fruit, licorice and spice aromatics. Very rich, fat and sexy. Touch of oak in the long and otherwise, clean, fruit filled finish should integrate in time. 94 Pts

06 Château Lascombes oak, earth, floral and black fruit aromatics make up the perfume. Very plush and ripe. Like a smattering of 06's, this has become softer over the past few months. 91 Pts

05 Château Malescot St. Exupery was clearly twice the wine as its more youthful brother. Bigger, denser, richer more plush and concentrated than the 06. Not completely closed down, this was a treat to sample. 95 Pts

06 Château Malescot St. Exupery is interestingly plush for the vintage. The nose has started to close. The palate offers a lot of wonderful array of fat, ripe, juicy, rich fruit. Very plush and soft for an 06. 93 Pts

Pauillac

05 Château Clerc Milon starts off with a spicy, sandalwood, cassis filled perfume. Plusher, richer better balanced than the 06. 91 Pts

06 Château Clerc Milon has a nice, spicy, cassis and cedar filled nose. Lots of tannin with a kiss of oak in the finish. 90 Pts

06 Château Lynch - Bages is a huge step up from the much lighter 05. Cassis, cedar wood and blackberry aromatics make up the perfume. Nice concentration of ripe fruit. The wine seemed polished for an 06 Pauillac and should drink earlier than most 06 Bordeaux. 90 Pts

06 Château Pichon Baron sports a cedar, cassis and black fruit profile. Beefy in style with broad shoulders. Tannic with tight. Good quality but will need time like most wines from the vintage. 92 Pts

05 Château Pichon Baron is a serious wine with lots of concentration, backbone and structure. The finish is very long and clean. Already closing down, needs time. 95 Pts

05 Château Pichon Lalande had an okay, cassis nose but lacked the depth and concentration found in the stunning 06. 88 Pts

06 Château Pichon Lalande is stunning! Spice, cedar, cassis and chocolate nose added to the silk, drenched, velvet laden, fleshy fruit that is clearly in abundance. The tannins were fine and the long finish very elegant. This is one of the top wines 06. This has been produced in a very nice style with the help of Hubert de Bouard from Chateau Angelus. Bouard will not be assisting with future vintages. 96 Pts

05 Château Pontet-Canet is still strutting its stuff. Intensely concentrated with gobs of deep, ripe cassis and a heady perfume. Lots of backbone, structure, purity and fine tannins give the wine a memorable, long, black fruit filled finish. This has been built for long aging. 95 Pts

06 Château Pontet-Canet with its oak, cedar and cassis nose is a pleasure to sniff. Beefy, masculine and tannic in style, but with round edges. This is not that far off the quality of the stunning 05. 93 Pts

Pessac-Léognan

05 Château Domaine de Chevalier has good color with more aromatics than the 06. Earthy, cherry and black fruit flavors make up the wines profile. Lots of freshness in the fruit. 91 Pts

06 Château Domaine de Chevalier was very tannic. Lighter and possibly more closed than the 05, I had a hard time getting a read on it. It showed better the last time I tasted it in June. 89 Pts

05 Château Haut - Bailly is still utterly charming. Fleshy, flashy and blending black fruit with intriguing red accents and tobacco, this supple, opulent, spicy wine delivers a lot of pleasure in every sip. This is really a fabulous style of wine. 94 Pts

06 Château Haut - Bailly was very similar to the 05 in character, but lacked the same levels of concentration and depth. 92 Pts

05 Château Pape Clement remains a sublime wine. Massive levels of concentration fill every nook and cranny of your tasting receptors. This is truly a stunning wine that will offer incredible tasting experiences in 15 years when it comes around! 96 Pts

06 Château Pape Clement was deep in color and kicked off with lots of fat, ripe, black fruit, smoke and oak ending with a finish filled with black fruit and rhubarb. There is a lot of structure in this wine. Tannins were polished. 93+ Pts

05 Château Smith Haut-Lafitte has tightened up and was hard to get a read on.

Pomerol

06 Château Clinet deep ruby color. Strawberry, chocolate and plum filled nose. Good depth and body. Big in style. Finishes with black cherry and ripe strawberry flavors. Ripe tannins. 92 Pts

Saint-Émilion Grand Cru

05 Château Angélus remains the real deal. Deeply colored with a big, lush, fat, sexy mouthful of ripe, red and black fruits. The tannins seemed to have been polished by cashmere. This has started to tighten up and needs sleep. 98 Pts

06 Château Angélus sports great color. Chocolate, black and red fruits and an interesting coconut scent. Very tannic, large scaled wine. Lots of body, freshness and concentration. 95 Pts

05 Château Beau - Séjour Bécot was closed up and hard to evaluate. This needs time to come around.

06 Château Beau - Séjour Bécot offered a lot of freshness. Bright fruit, herbs and blackberry nose with truffles was made even better by the plush finish. 91 Pts

06 Château La -Cabane ruby color. Not much ripeness. OK, but not exciting wine. 86 Pts

05 Château Canon with its black cherry nose, plump fruit and minerality was made even more enjoyable by the long, rich, suave finish. Not having tasted this wine much, I was pleased and surprised by how much I liked it. 93 Pts

06 Château Canon granted you a big, rich, juicy mouthful of ripe black plums. Lots of freshness. There was a hint of oak in the tannic finish. 90 Pts

05 Château Canon - La - Gaffelière was almost closed down. Hints of the flashy wine could be gleaned, but it's best to let it sleep.

06 Château Canon - La - Gaffelière seemed approachable. Great, fleshy, rich texture. 91 Pts

05 Château Clos Fourtet kicked off with explosive, licorice, black cherry, spice and fresh herb aromas. Plush, rich, fat and palate staining. There is a lot to like in this sexy wine. 96 Pts

06 Château Clos Fourtet opened up with scents of oak and ripe black fruits. Lush, velvety and concentrated. Tannins seemed ripe and polished. 93 Pts

05 Château La Couspaude shows oak, coffee, vanilla and ripe black fruit notes. Very soft, plush style of wine. The wine finishes with a sensation of ripe Maraschino cherries. 92 Pts

06 Château La Couspaude has licorice, oak and fresh leaves making up the perfume. Soft, elegant and definitely a crowd pleasing style of wine. 90 Pts

05 Château La Dominique is a nice, simple, well made wine that would make for a nice luncheon claret 88 Pts.

06 Château La Dominique is a huge step up in quality. Starting in 2006, La Dominique is being produced with the help of Jean-Luc Thunevin and based on this vintage, it's easy to see the difference. Gobs of juicy red and black fruit accented by fresh herbs start off the nose. The palate enjoys a fat, rich dose of concentrated ripe fruits. Long and clean in the finish. 92 pts

05 Château La Gaffelière was another 05 that was shutdown and hard to get a handle on.

06 Château La Gaffelière was filled with herbs, oak and ripe, black raspberry aromatics. Tannic. Much lighter than the 05. 90 Pts

05 Château Larcis Ducasse... Can you say "Rock Star"? For me, this was the wine of the tasting! Miraculously, the wine had not tightened up and delivered all its sex bomb charms easily to everyone who asked. Plush, opulent, exotic and exciting. The perfume, texture and length were compelling. I've seen this lately for under its recent $200+ high water mark. I think close to $150. If you like this style of wine, it's worth the cash. 98+ Pts

06 Château Larcis Ducasse wasless showy and ostentatious. Oak, minerals, coffee, licorice and black raspberry were easy find in the perfume. Big, rich and tannic. Broad shouldered. Requires time. 95 Pts

05 Château Pavie - Macquin was very tight on the nose. Obviously more concentrated than its younger sibling, but the wine was too closed to evaluate.

06 Château Pavie - Macquin with its showy little nose of oak, blackberries, flowers and plums is a very nice wine. Tannins are firm, but ripe. Lots of depth. Elegant for the vintage. 94

05 Château Troplong Mondot is a show stopper! Oceans of sexy, ripe, black fruit cascade over your palate with intense levels of concentration. Silky, opulent, deep and velvety. The long, pure finish is almost seamless. What more could you ask for in a wine? This is riveting. 98+

06 Château Troplong Mondot with its okay, black cherry, licorice and coffee aromas enticed me to know it better. Tannic, but fine tannins with good freshness and great quality black, plummy fruit. This has a lot of body and depth. This outstanding wine reminds me of the 89! 95Pts

05 Château Trottevielle was my first time tasting this wine.Very seductive style. Not as concentrated as the top 05, St. Emilions, but very elegant and plush. 91 Pts

06 Château Trottevielle was similar in style to the 05, but lacked the same level of depth and was silghtly less elegant. 89 Pts

Saint Julien

05 Château Branaire - Ducru was very tight and closed and was not giving much of its ample charms. The wine was too closed to evaluate.

06 Château Branaire - Ducru has a nice deep color. Spice box, licorice, mocha and cassis on the nose. Masculine for Branaire. 92

05 Château Gruaud Larose was very tight and difficult to sample.

06 Château Gruaud Larose offered a straight forward nose. Nice entry, but ended on a simple, straight forward note. 88 Pts

05 Château Léoville Poyferré with its spicy, cassis filled nose was more of a wine of finesse compared to the 06. This has much more purity and a softer, more elegant texture. 94 Pts

06 Château Léoville Poyferré had a complex perfume of oak, blackberry and truffle. Big, beefy, brawny and tannic. The blackberry/black cherry finish was pleasant, but clearly, this is not meant to drink young. 91 Pts

05 Château St. Pierre was shut down and hard to read.

06 Château St. Pierre has a spicy, cassis nose. Medium weight. Finishes with black fruit, tannin and oak. 89 Pts

posted Hide Post
Were they pouring 05's as well?

------------------------------
Originally posted by Board-O:
It's truly amazing the amount of meaningless posts you make.

"All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved." Matthew 10:22

Posts: 2529 | Location: Illinois | Registered: Jun 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another thing I would say about this tasting format...especially for young vintages like this, is that there is ZERO decanting going on. Everything is pop and pour, and everyone is drinking fairly quickly so they can move on to the next sample. The woman pouring for Troplong Mondot and I were discussing how much of a disservice this format was to these wines. She seemed without words and even though she kept a nice smile on her face, you could tell that she and many of the others pouring were simply "going along" with something they really didn't believe in.

It would be nice if they could do this as a sit down tasting/discussion and let each property say a little something about the wines. It would be a lot...too much to do for trying every wine, but people could buy tickets to seminars for the various appelations they're interested in and spend some time with each wine.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Were they pouring 05's as well?

Yes.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dr.darkrichandbold:
Another thing I would say about this tasting format...especially for young vintages like this, is that there is ZERO decanting going on. Everything is pop and pour, and everyone is drinking fairly quickly so they can move on to the next sample. The woman pouring for Troplong Mondot and I were discussing how much of a disservice this format was to these wines. She seemed without words and even though she kept a nice smile on her face, you could tell that she and many of the others pouring were simply "going along" with something they really didn't believe in.

It would be nice if they could do this as a sit down tasting/discussion and let each property say a little something about the wines. It would be a lot...too much to do for trying every wine, but people could buy tickets to seminars for the various appelations they're interested in and spend some time with each wine.

Last year in Chicago, most of the wines were in decanters. A bunch of Sauternes were even decanted.

Awesome news for the 05's.

------------------------------
Originally posted by Board-O:
It's truly amazing the amount of meaningless posts you make.

"All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved." Matthew 10:22

Posts: 2529 | Location: Illinois | Registered: Jun 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Last year in Chicago, most of the wines were in decanters. A bunch of Sauternes were even decanted.

For the life of me I cannot figure out why they didn't decant for this event....

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

For the life of me I cannot figure out why they didn't decant for this event....

Wall to wall wine guzzlers with no hope of keeping up?

Joe
-----
Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ www.wineismylife.net

Posts: 13306 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
wiml, you should bring your decanter on Thursday. Big Grin

Posts: 29594 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Very true...I'm sure most weren't taking it as seriously as we do! Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Very true...I'm sure most weren't taking it as seriously as we do! Wink

drab, wiml and I will be going this week, what not to be missed should we seek out.

TIA!

Posts: 29594 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
wiml, you should bring your decanter on Thursday. Big Grin

I'll bring my Makita battery powered daiquiri blender.

Joe
-----

Posts: 13306 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just bring your Advocates so you know how to rate the wines when you post the next day. Big Grin

Moo

Your share of the national debt has increased by $16.043.39 from 01/21/09 - 04/17/12. Have you wondered how high this would be if you had the wonderful Brit banking regulators instead?

When the federal budget deficit stands at $1.5 trillion, the spectacle of congressmen and senators waxing indignant about the irresponsibility of others is laughable.

Due to the recession and new environmental restrictions imposed by the EPA, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice.

Posts: 1113 | Location: East BF, Egypt | Registered: May 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sacred Cow:
Just bring your Advocates so you know how to rate the wines when you post the next day. Big Grin

Moo

Not me. That would be Pomerolvr although I think he has them memorized before he arrives. I just show up, slurp and render an amateur opinion. Eek

Joe
-----

posted Hide Post
I am not sure how anyone can rate wines when you have about 5 minutes to sip and then either swallow or spit.

In general, I think that Margaux was intense while some like Figeac and Gruaud Larose offered a rather thin taste.

My favorites were:
Ch Troplong Mondot
Ch Cantemerle
Ch Ferriere
Ch Pichon Longueville
Ch Lynch Bages

Posts: 3644 | Location: Westchester, NY | Registered: Aug 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mareff:
I am not sure how anyone can rate wines when you have about 5 minutes to sip and then either swallow or spit.

There's your problem reff. You're spending 5 minutes. If you don't have it down in 60 seconds or less move on. Wink

Joe
-----

posted Hide Post
I call these things:

"Pour and pukes"

Hate them, on both sides of the table.

Paul Romero (tlily)- Owner, Winemaker, Tour Guide
Stefania Wine
http://www.stefaniawine.com

Posts: 7538 | Location: San Jose | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much for this informative post and series of tasting notes. It sounds like a wonderful and I for am very envious.

Posts: 165 | Location: Australasia | Registered: Jan 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
quote:

There's your problem reff. You're spending 5 minutes. If you don't have it down in 60 seconds or less move on. Wink

actually it was less, Tbird was with me. His mantra was hit all of them as fast as you can Cool

Posts: 3644 | Location: Westchester, NY | Registered: Aug 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
at least i had the common sense to pass out on the subway ride home. you sat there with your eyeballs pointing in opposite directions, bottle of sauternes tucked under arm! Big Grin Razz

how we stumbled into the italian wine awards after that event was quite admirable. Cool

quote:
actually it was less, Tbird was with me. His mantra was hit all of them as fast as you can Cool

-----------------------------

Go Yankees! Razz

Posts: 8463 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: Nov 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
drab, wiml and I will be going this week, what not to be missed should we seek out.

Unlike pomerollvr, I don't yet see the "wow" factor of these wines. I didn't the first go around last year, and I still don't. They are good, but they are sooooo young and tannic. Unusually so. I don't think I rated anything over 94 pts. And, with all the new winemaking tricks going on, the massive tannins, and boatloads of hype...I just don't see it right now. The '00's impressed me more in their debut (overall). Many of my scores have +'s and I'm giving the overwhelming hype the benefit of the doubt. But I smell a lot of '86 action here, and wonder if we won't be looking back at some of these at their 30th birthday's wondering when and "if" they'll ever come around.

Nevertheless....

I would be sure to hit (partly because these are the stars and also I'd like to see what you guys say about them):

Troplong Mondot
Angelus
Pavie Macquin
Pichon Lalande
Pichon Baron
Grand Puy Lacoste
Gazin
Grand Mayne
Kirwan
Brane-Cantenac
Lascombes
Lynch Bages
Larcis Ducasse
Malescot St. Exupery
Domaine de Chevalier (whites and reds)
Pape Clement
Canon La Gaffeliere

Have fun and be sure to post when you can!

posted Hide Post
drab,

Based on your list it looks like a stronger performance in Saint Emilion followed by Pauillac with minor flashes in Margaux and Pessac-Leognan. Fair statement? Probably the areas to focus on first perhaps?

Besides Chevalier did you taste any whites that stood out?

Joe
-----