WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    2005 Maison Leroy Bourgogne Rouge
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
2005 Maison Leroy Bourgogne Rouge
 Login/Join 
Member
posted
This is a serious wine, but still completely primary. There is excellent ripe fruit, sturdy tannins, an excellent core of acidity, all laced with earthy nuances, but it will require years still to come around. This is proof positive that the producer may be more important than the vineyard when it comes to Burgundy. I don't plan on touching another bottle for 5 years at least.


Stay thirsty my friends.
 
Posts: 3024 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I think the producer and the vintage are of primary importance.


Just one more sip.
 
Posts: 36740 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
I think the producer and the vintage are of primary importance.


Absolutely.

I think the '05 vintage from Cotes de Nuits may be the finest since 1978 in general.
 
Posts: 29983 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
W&A and/or Board-O, any producers you would recommend? (other than the obvious DRC, Leroy...) TIA
 
Posts: 1555 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
W&A and/or Board-O, any producers you would recommend? (other than the obvious DRC, Leroy...) TIA


I could try to help.

Any price points, or share what you have enjoyed in the past?
 
Posts: 29983 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Let's say under $100. thank you
 
Posts: 1555 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
Let's say under $100. thank you


Not sure of style you are looking for, but here are a few you may wish to seek out.

Jean Grivot
de Vogue
Anne Gros
Henri Gouges
Dujac
Dugat
Armand
JM Bouley
Ponsot
Boillot

Good cross over producers you may want to seek out.

de Montille

Tollot Beaut


Many more for sure.
 
Posts: 29983 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Good list. As w+a said, there are loads of others. Just a few that have impressed me at winery visits:

Gerard Raphet- everything we tasted was truly excellent

Nicolas Potel

Remoissenet- their 2009 barrel samples were very impressive

Mongeard-Mugneret


Just one more sip.
 
Posts: 36740 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Good list. As w+a said, there are loads of others. Just a few that have impressed me at winery visits:



Nicolas Potel

Remoissenet- their 2009 barrel samples were very impressive


How in the world did I leave these off. Smack
 
Posts: 29983 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Hey, we both left off a load. Maybe we should tell mangiare which ones we'd avoid. Just a few I'd avoid:

Louis Latour
Faiveley
Louis Jadot
Bertagna
Bouchard- I know some people enjoy their wines, but the ones I've had have underperformed


Just one more sip.
 
Posts: 36740 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Dme Fourrier and Drouhin-Laroze produced lovely 2005s. Fourrier has a wider price range and offerings than D-L.


WSET Adv
http://twitter.com/ilb013
 
Posts: 401 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Many thanks. The avoid list is just as valuable as the seek out list.
I've been in to Jean Grivot for a few years and really enjoy his wines.

Thank you
 
Posts: 1555 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Hey, we both left off a load. Maybe we should tell mangiare which ones we'd avoid. Just a few I'd avoid:

Louis Latour
Faiveley
Louis Jadot
Bertagna
Bouchard- I know some people enjoy their wines, but the ones I've had have underperformed


Just curious, since these are such huge producers, Would you avoid ALL wines from these producers, even the Grand crus and top 1ers from their own domaine holdings? Or is it more of a matter where these guys can make a few great bottles, you just can't buy blindly?


Stay thirsty my friends.
 
Posts: 3024 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Hey, we both left off a load. Maybe we should tell mangiare which ones we'd avoid. Just a few I'd avoid:

Louis Latour
Faiveley
Louis Jadot
Bertagna
Bouchard- I know some people enjoy their wines, but the ones I've had have underperformed


Just curious, since these are such huge producers, Would you avoid ALL wines from these producers, even the Grand crus and top 1ers from their own domaine holdings? Or is it more of a matter where these guys can make a few great bottles, you just can't buy blindly?


Good question, Redhawk.

I do not know, but I completely avoid Latour, Jadot and Drouhin without people I completely trust and even often request/demand a taste of the specific wine before buying. Now this said, not one bottle of any of these in any of my cellars. Wink
 
Posts: 29983 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:


Gerard Raphet- everything we tasted was truly excellent


I need to make a few phone calls.

Thanks Board-O.
 
Posts: 29983 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk:
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Hey, we both left off a load. Maybe we should tell mangiare which ones we'd avoid. Just a few I'd avoid:

Louis Latour
Faiveley
Louis Jadot
Bertagna
Bouchard- I know some people enjoy their wines, but the ones I've had have underperformed


Just curious, since these are such huge producers, Would you avoid ALL wines from these producers, even the Grand crus and top 1ers from their own domaine holdings? Or is it more of a matter where these guys can make a few great bottles, you just can't buy blindly?


Good question, Redhawk.

I do not know, but I completely avoid Latour, Jadot and Drouhin without people I completely trust and even often request/demand a taste of the specific wine before buying. Now this said, not one bottle of any of these in any of my cellars. Wink


None since the 1999 vintage in my cellar.


Just one more sip.
 
Posts: 36740 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
Let's say under $100. thank you


Not sure of style you are looking for, but here are a few you may wish to seek out.

Jean Grivot
de Vogue
Anne Gros Any other Gros, or just Anne?
Dugat Dugat-Py or Claude Dugat, or both?
Do any of the above actually make wines under $100?

Henri Gouges
Dujac
Armand
JM Bouley
Ponsot
Boillot Which Boillot? Henri, Jean-Marc, Louis, all?

Good cross over producers you may want to seek out. What does "cross-over" mean?

de Montille

Tollot Beaut


Many more for sure.


Sorry for so many questions, but you are the font of knowledge!

Also, are there any published critics who you feel have decent/trustworthy palates? WS/Sanderson? Burghound/Meadows? IWC/Tanzer? WA/(is it Rovanni or Schildknect or somebody)? View From the Cellar?

Final question:
When it comes to a good quality producer, do you find much difference in quality between their "maison" negociant wines, and the domaine wines, assuming the same vintage and vineyard class?


Stay thirsty my friends.
 
Posts: 3024 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Some names not mentioned yet:

Marquis d'Angerville
Robert Groffier

I would also mention the base production of some star producer:

Roumier (Georges)
Mugnier
Meo-Camuzet
 
Posts: 95 | Location: Piedmont | Registered: Jan 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I think cross-over producers are Beaune based winemakers who also have some vineyards in Nuits.


"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton
 
Posts: 3435 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
Let's say under $100. thank you


Not sure of style you are looking for, but here are a few you may wish to seek out.

Jean Grivot
de Vogue
Anne Gros Any other Gros, or just Anne? Anne is the one I have the most positive experience with.
Dugat Dugat-Py or Claude Dugat, or both? Both
Do any of the above actually make wines under $100? Indeed

Henri Gouges
Dujac
Armand
JM Bouley
Ponsot
Boillot Which Boillot? Henri, Jean-Marc, Louis, all? Henri & JM are my go to for Boillot

Good cross over producers you may want to seek out. What does "cross-over" mean? Sorry. I was referring to palates that enjoy modern styles looking for a cross over to start with.

de Montille

Tollot Beaut


Many more for sure.


Sorry for so many questions, but you are the font of knowledge!

Also, are there any published critics who you feel have decent/trustworthy palates? WS/Sanderson? Burghound/Meadows? IWC/Tanzer? WA/(is it Rovanni or Schildknect or somebody)? View From the Cellar?

Clive Coates was my first go to teacher in so many ways. I still read Burghound, Decanter and The World of Fine Wines, but come to think of it, I have not seen my Fine Wines in some time.

Final question:
When it comes to a good quality producer, do you find much difference in quality between their "maison" negociant wines, and the domaine wines, assuming the same vintage and vineyard class? Good vintages produce good wines, so good quality always available. Not sure I can answer this one...too many what if for me. Sorry.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wine+art,
 
Posts: 29983 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
W+A

Thank you for your input.
 
Posts: 3024 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk:
W+A

Thank you for your input.


Well, it is only worth what you pay for it. Big Grin
 
Posts: 29983 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Robert Chevillon for Nuits St Georges

Taupenot Merme
 
Posts: 1788 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk:
W+A

Thank you for your input.


Well, it is only worth what you pay for it. Big Grin


Well, my daughter just received her acceptance package from U of D in the mail yesterday, so there may be an opportunity for me to obtain even better advice in the near future.
 
Posts: 3024 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Redhawk. When do we get to start on the whites? Banana


Just one more sip.
 
Posts: 36740 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    2005 Maison Leroy Bourgogne Rouge

© Wine Spectator 2013