WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    2010 Elk Cove Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley, OR
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2010 Elk Cove Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley, OR
 Login/Join 
posted
Popped and poured. Initial slight whiff of funk/sulfur that went away fairly quickly. Medium-red color, I think a little darker than the 2010 Penner Ash Shea I had last weekend. Strawberries on the nose with some brown sugar - a smell I may have never experienced with PN before. Light-ish mouthfeel. Tangy acidity with sour cherries, mixed berries, and some hints of citrus/orange peel notes. A bit of a short finish, but nicely balanced. Nothing approaching a "wow" wine but interesting, and on the elegant side. If you prefer the modern CA style than you may not like this. For me, 88-89 and a decent QPR. I'm really starting to like Pinots from Oregon.

Posts: 5434 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Except for the sulfur and funk, your note mirrors the bottle that I had last week. And I agree with your rating.

Posts: 1549 | Location: STL | Registered: Dec 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Threadjack here- they make one of America's best Pinot Gris. (Is Pinot Gris the plural of Pinto Gris, just pronounced differently?)

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36781 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Board-O, when searching to make sure someone else didn't start a thread for this wine, I saw your comments about the Pinot Gris. Depending on price, if I see one I may give it a shot. Pinot Gris/Grigio is a grape that has never done anything for me, whether from Italy, US, Alsace, etc. I'm looking to find some more interesting whites I enjoy. Thanks for the input.

Posts: 5434 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Italians butcher the grape. Look to Alsace for the best. For a very modest price, Kim Crawford makes a very good one.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36781 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll add if you like late harvest style, Kracher and Robert sinskey make some fantastic pinot gris wines.

st innocent acutally makes an enjoyable pinot gris too

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12026 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As does Chehalem, but I like Elk Cove's the best from Oregon.

Just one more sip.