WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Off-Line Events    Vancouver Offline Nov 23?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vancouver Offline Nov 23?
 Login/Join 
posted
I'll be in Vancouver in late November, and I'm wondering if any of the Vancouver forumites would like to meet up for an offline on Friday, November 23? I hear BYOW is okay now in BC?

Punch it , Chewie!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Edmonton | Registered: Jul 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd be interested but we're in Whistler that night. Enjoy your visit.

Posts: 1511 | Location: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Count me in.

"Believe me, you can count on Slippery Pete" - Kramer

Posts: 1425 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Jun 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great! I'm looking forward to meeting you, Gundam. I hope we get a few more.

Punch it , Chewie!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Edmonton | Registered: Jul 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mark me as probable.

There's a chance that we'll be away that weekend, otherwise would enjoy meeting you. We'll know definitely by end of next week.

Cheers!

Posts: 8349 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Should just add that corkage is allowable in BC now, but not all restaurants are offering it. Also, prices vary from $5 to $50, and there are a few minor restrictions that some restaurants enforce rigidly (e.g. bottle must have been purchased in BC, not previously opened, etc.).

Cheers!

Posts: 8349 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It has to be purchased in BC? So, I guess I can't bring anything from home, unless the venue has a fairly loose policy on that. How do they check? Do they really expect people to bring an original receipt for the twenty year old wine they brought from their cellar?

Regarding the restaurant, I will have to defer that to you locals to suggest a place. Do you guys normally choose a wine theme?

Punch it , Chewie!

posted Hide Post
As I said, some restaurants are very rigid about the rules, including a few very well-known and popular ones. They're easily able to find out online whether the wines were ever sold in BC, and I think that's probably about all the due diligence expected of them. Most restaurants are pretty reasonable if they allow corkage, but as we're still in the early stages of this wonderful relaxation of our draconian liquor laws, some places are still trying to figure out how to be compliant and please the customers simultaneously. It'll get better over time.

Doesn't hurt to make inquiries prior to booking, though. We changed our dinner reservations in Whistler recently after calling to inquire about corkage and being told all the conditions that had to be met, on top of the $50 corkage charge. But that's really not the norm.

Cheers!

posted Hide Post
Seaquam. Drive 20 minutes south, and you won't be having this problem. Razz

"Believe me, you can count on Slippery Pete" - Kramer

Posts: 1425 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Jun 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hear you, Gundam. Smile Fortunately, there are some places in town where we can be accommodated nicely.

Hope we'll talk soon.

Cheers!

posted Hide Post
Hi guys. Any others interested in meeting up for this offline?

Punch it , Chewie!

posted Hide Post
I thought I'd bump this one more time to see if this mini-Offline is still on.

Punch it , Chewie!

posted Hide Post
I apologize for not replying earlier, but I have been waiting for other people to make definitive decisions that affect me. Unfortunately, we are not going to be available Nov. 23. I don't know when you're in town, but if you could swing Wed. Nov. 21, then we can do a nice evening on that date.

If all goes well-- and at this time it looks quite favourable-- I will have an awful lot of time after Dec. 15 for offlines, travel, and reading whenever I want, even spontaneously. Hopefully, if next Wed. can't work, then the next time you're headed this way...

Cheers!

posted Hide Post
Hi, Seaquam. Wednesday Nov 21 does work for me. How about Gundam?

Punch it , Chewie!

posted Hide Post
OK! Please send PM, and we'll set up a plan.

I will get in touch with Gundam ASAP.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Seaquam,

Cheers!