WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Off-Line Events    Chicago February 19th - 6:30 at Glen Prairie
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chicago February 19th - 6:30 at Glen Prairie
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk:
My wife and I may be in the area. Is there room for 2 more?
I would love to meet some of you guys, even if you are just lowly Blackhawk fans...

Redhawk, we would love to meet you and teach you about the new world order of hockey! Razz Seriously, it would be great to meet you. Now we just have to get the locals to agree on a venue. It seems Glen Prairie and Shiraz are the venue choices.

Posts: 5436 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife has been to Shiraz and says they are not worthy. 2 Cents

Posts: 3586 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
My wife and I may be in the area. Is there room for 2 more?
I would love to meet some of you guys, even if you are just lowly Blackhawk fans...

Forget the local hockey crowd- the rest of us are good folk. Big Grin

Posts: 1592 | Location: St. Charles, IL | Registered: Dec 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trying to get a bead on how many we will be; not sure who is solo and who is +1 for this. I'll update this post as I'm corrected. Smile

billhike - 1 - confirmed
AllRed - 2 - confirmed
thelostverse - 2 confirmed
Redhawk - 2 - confirmed
Aphilla - 2 - confirmed
Vino Me - 2 - confirmed
VinT - 1, possibly 2 (co-worker and co-Canuck)
Jcubed - 1 - confirmed

The venue might end up being decided by which place has room for us all. Options, in rough group preferential order:

1. Glen Prairie ($10 corkage, in Glen Ellyn, but may have wayward sneezers)
2. Ivy ($20 corkage, in Wheaton)
3. Praga ($20 corkage, in Lombard)
4. Adelle's (free corkage, in Wheaton)
5. Shiraz ($15 corkage, in Bloomingdale, but tlv's wife says 'not worthy')

This message has been edited. Last edited by: VinT,

Posts: 2774 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will leave choice of restaraunt up to the locals. FWIW, it would be easy to switch my reservation to the hotel where Shiraz is located, but if it's not worthy, then it's not worthy.

My wife and I were planning on being downtown, but can switch locations easily. She's still working on arrangements for child care at home, but I'm hopefull we can swing the trip to Chicago.

My biggest concern is "what wine should I bring?"

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3087 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
VinT, I will be solo.

Posts: 5436 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is there room for 1 more?

J3

Wine makes me smile.

Posts: 806 | Location: Chicago Western Suburbs | Registered: Nov 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcubed:
Is there room for 1 more?

J3

You're on the list!

If my math is right, we could have anywhere between 8 and 14 people. Let's cap it there pending confirmation from Redhawk, VM, and the +1s for tlv and I.

Restaurant - I'm leaning towards lower corkage fee places that haven't been too controversial: Adele's and Glen Prairie. Anyone feel strongly about one or the other?

Posts: 2774 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm good with either venue. Would probably lean towards Glen Prairie since I haven't been there before, but free corkage at Adelle's is nice too.

VinT, I work in Carol Stream, which borders both Bloomingdale and Glendale Heights. I'd be willing to pick you up and bring you to the restaurant to save you at least one cab fare. I have but a humble Honda, but xhoser can attest that my driving is so peaceful and safe, one can sleep! Smile

posted Hide Post
If you choose Glen Prairie, I can probably shift my hotel booking to the Crowne Plaza for the night, and we will be right there. It looks like that might be the closest hotel to Adele's, too (?).

I spoke with my wife, and we are confirmed.

Let me know when the venue has been chosen, and then we can discuss which wines to bring.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3087 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:

If my math is right, we could have anywhere between 8 and 14 people. Let's cap it there pending confirmation from Redhawk, VM, and the +1s for tlv and I.

Restaurant - I'm leaning towards lower corkage fee places that haven't been too controversial: Adele's and Glen Prairie. Anyone feel strongly about one or the other?

I won't know for sure on my +1 until later. I wasn't sure if my wife was going to be out of town, but I forgot we have Hawks tickets to see the Canucks that night. I'd rather drink wine with you guys, so I'm in for sure. Our kids are probably going to use the tickets, but if our son can't go, my wife is going to go with our daughter.

As to venue, if we have a large group, I would personally lean towards Adelle's. We could probably get them to give us that private room in the bar area if we have 10-14 people. And it is really hard to beat their free corkage. And I'm still thinking about that Hoisin Duck Breast I had last week. Cool

Of course, I would like to try Glen Prairie too.

Posts: 3586 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What are people planning to bring?

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3472 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My far better half is in.

As far as what I plan to bring, I'll know it when I open it on the 19th.

posted Hide Post
Chardonnay theme? Devilish

posted Hide Post
My co-worker is unavailable for another couple of days but he'll probably join us. So it looks like we're at 12, with VM a possible addition of 2 more. I'm waiting on a callback from the GM at Glen Prairie to discuss options.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
Chardonnay theme? Devilish

Oh, good! My wife LOOOOVES Chardonnay! Woot

Stay thirsty my friends.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by VinT:

we have Hawks tickets to see the Canucks that night.

I fail to see the attraction. Would that be in PeeWee or Mites division? (GO WINGS!!) Razz

I'd rather drink wine with you guys, so I'm in for sure.

Now you're talking!

Stay thirsty my friends.

posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by thelostverse:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by VinT:

we have Hawks tickets to see the Canucks that night.

I fail to see the attraction. Would that be in PeeWee or Mites division? (GO WINGS!!) Razz

Too easy. Big Grin Talk to me when the Hawks lose in regulation (probably tonight - first game back from a long road trip tends to be a trap game).

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
So it looks like we're at 12, with VM a possible addition of 2 more.

If Bill the troublemaker gets his Chardonnay theme, we will stay at 12 as VM is notoriously fond of Chardonnay (NOT).

posted Hide Post
Looks like we are in.

I vote for over oaked, over alcoholed, over extracted and over priced California Chardonnay as a theme. So basically any California Chard will do.

For the reds, let's do "Zinfandel over 16% alcohol" as a theme.

VM

Posts: 12252 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Redhawk- Think you visited Traverse last year. Did you happen to buy any extra Left Foot Charley Riesling that you'd like to sell or trade? Or the Lot 49 from Ch Grand Traverse? Can't find it down here.

To Redhawk and VinT- there is a Binny's just down the street (about a mile to the West) of Glen Prairie if you wanted to do some wine shopping before dinner.

VM

Posts: 12252 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Me:
Looks like we are in.

I vote for over oaked, over alcoholed, over extracted and over priced California Chardonnay as a theme. So basically any California Chard will do.

For the reds, let's do "Zinfandel over 16% alcohol" as a theme.

VM

Big Grin

posted Hide Post
At least those two theme choices would exclude Cab Francs from MI. Popcorn

In seriousness, I'm leaning towards bringing a NV Phillippe Prie Rose Champagne.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Me:
Redhawk- Think you visited Traverse last year. Did you happen to buy any extra Left Foot Charley Riesling that you'd like to sell or trade? Or the Lot 49 from Ch Grand Traverse? Can't find it down here.

To Redhawk and VinT- there is a Binny's just down the street (about a mile to the West) of Glen Prairie if you wanted to do some wine shopping before dinner.

VM

So Sorry, I did not get to taste any Left Foot Charlie this past summer. My LWS usually has a pretty good selection of of Left Foot Charlie and Ch. GT. Not sure what rieslings are in stock currently, but I could check it out and pick up some for you if you'd like. No problem.

Looking forward to meeting a fellow OMP afficianado!

Thanks for the tip on the Binny's.

Stay thirsty my friends.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
At least those two theme choices would exclude Cab Francs from MI. Popcorn

In seriousness, I'm leaning towards bringing a NV Phillippe Prie Rose Champagne.

I promise not to impose any Michigan wines on you guys. I'm guessing Vino Me probably does that enough already (?). Wink

When you proposed chardonnay, I was actually thinking, "well, if he's serious, I would be happy to bring a BdB Champagne and/or Grand Cru Chablis" (I would love to offer Salon or Montrachet, but my cellar is not quite there yet).

However, since you guys seem to be leaning toward the "Zinfandel over 16%" category, I guess I'll have to stop at Binny's.

Stay thirsty my friends.