WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Off-Line Events    Chicago February 19th - 6:30 at Glen Prairie
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chicago February 19th - 6:30 at Glen Prairie
 Login/Join 
posted
Another Tuesday, another Canadian passing through Chicago Big Grin. I will be in Glendale Heights for a meeting the 19th, staying in Bloomingdale. I realize it's short notice but would love to tilt a glass with anyone who's interested.

Xhoser said "tell 'em I sent you!"

This message has been edited. Last edited by: VinT,

Posts: 2801 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
Another Tuesday, another Canadian passing through Chicago Big Grin. I will be in Glendale Heights for a meeting the 19th, staying in Bloomingdale. I realize it's short notice but would love to tilt a glass with anyone who's interested.

Xhoser said "tell 'em I sent you!"

Dang Canadians! Wink

VinT, will you have a car and be mobile?

Some of us have been talking about finding BYO places in Schaumburg, just a bit north of Bloomingdale. Called Wildfire and Maggiano's and were told by both of them that they don't have corkage. Third place I called said that the village of Schaumburg does not allow it. Confused Some of the locals work up that way so it would have been nice. I can most likely be available. Hopefully some of the others have venue suggestions for this area?

Posts: 5471 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:

Some of us have been talking about finding BYO places in Schaumburg, just a bit north of Bloomingdale. Called Wildfire and Maggiano's and were told by both of them that they don't have corkage. Third place I called said that the village of Schaumburg does not allow it.

I'm taking it that when they said they don't have corkage it means you can't bring your own, is that right?

From Bloomingdale it might be easier to do something around Wheaton rather than points north. Do we know any places in Wheaton? ;-) Or maybe that place on Butterfield Rd in Downer's. What place was that?

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3482 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rosebud told me that Schaumburg does not allow wine to be brought to restaurants.

Carlucci is the place in Downer's; their corkage night is Thursday. Of course there is Adelle's where we just were with free corkage on Tuesday's, and close to Glendale Hts/Bloomingdale. But I might be accused of suggesting places that are convenient to me! Razz

Posts: 5471 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Schaumburg has some odd wine rules. The Binny's in Schaumburg can't charge for tastings because of a different rule, IIRC.

There was another place in Wheaton besides Adelle's if you want to mix it up. My memory is pretty bad I guess.

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3482 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The other place in Wheaton is Suzette's. They recently increased corkage to $15.

Perhaps we can let VinT reply as to mobility and see who else is interested, then start thinking venues. Hell, we can pitch in and order pizzas at my place for all I care!

posted Hide Post
I'll check and see if my wife and I are available on the 19th. Another restaurant in the area (Lombard) that the CWM had offlines at (but before Bill and Phil were around) was Praga. The food, stemware and atmosphere is very good. Corkage is normally $20 but I think they waived it or at least reduced it for us in the past. Since this is a Tuesday they might work with us if Bill does some of his magic.

VM

Posts: 12285 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You guys are killing me with all of these offlines during busy season!

Please put us down for two, tentive for now. I'll be able to confirm a couple of days beforehand.

Posts: 1598 | Location: St. Charles, IL | Registered: Dec 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Me:
before Bill and Phil were around

Sounds like a shot, meant to say "the good old days".
Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Bill, no car booked at this point but would be happy to cab to and fro, assuming the venue was within a reasonable ($20-$30 ride each way) distance.

Re: corkage in Schaumberg: I asked Chicago Prime Steakhouse about corkage and this is the message I received: "Unfortunately the Village of Schaumburg disallows any wine be brought in from outside the restaurant." So there you go.

I have also reached out The Bank and Ivy in Wheaton, as well as Jameson's Charhouse in Bloomingdale regarding corkage. Don't know if any of these places might work, I just found them on a random search. Will report back what I learn about corkage.

Posts: 2801 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just did a quick search for places that allow corkage near Bloomingdale, and came up with the following:

Shiraz in Bloomingdale
The Bank in Wheaton
Glen Prairie in Glen Ellyn

I've never been to any of them so I can't comment on the food. Also don't know what the corkage amount is.

Glen Prairie has an interesting menu. The Bank's chef was a loser on Hell's Kitchen, so they've got that going for them Big Grin.

Put us down for two for now, but I'm not sure if my better half will be in town. I'll confirm later.

Posts: 3594 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
wherever it ends up being, I think we'll be there, so mark us down for 2

- Milton

posted Hide Post
Jameson's Charhouse (website)
94 Stratford Dr
Bloomingdale, IL 60108
Phone: (630) 671-9090

$15 corkage. No idea what the food's like.

posted Hide Post
quote:
94 Stratford Dr
Bloomingdale, IL 60108

Personally not a fan. There are a few of these scattered throughout the suburbs, but I haven't been to one in many years. 2 Cents

Posts: 3594 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
quote:
94 Stratford Dr
Bloomingdale, IL 60108

Personally not a fan. There are a few of these scattered throughout the suburbs, but I haven't been to one in many years. 2 Cents

Good feedback, thanks.

Ivy (site) in Wheaton confirmed $20 corkage. And on Tuesdays have 50% off any wine on the list priced up to $100. Problem is, the list isn't on the website. I've requested one.

Glen Prairie (site) in Glen Ellyn does indeed have a funky menu and confirmed $10 corkage.

posted Hide Post
I've seen a lot of good write-ups for Glen Prairie and wouldn't mind giving it a try. Close to I-355 for those that need a quick shot back north. I'm also willing to try something else if others sway it that way. No kids, no pets, plenty of flexibility in my schedule. Cool

posted Hide Post
Switch us from tentative to confirmed please.

A friend of ours had a less than stellar experience at The Bank, which was just confirmed by a colleague of mine. My colleague recommended Ivy before I even brought it up in conversation, for whatever that's worth. I don't mind the corkage fee, there's a chance it'd get waived (or reduced) too, if we're looking to try something new.

That said, there are enough choices on Adelle's menu that I'd be fine going back for no corkage Tuesday.

Posts: 1598 | Location: St. Charles, IL | Registered: Dec 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would be happy to do Glen Prairie. Seems about 20 min from my hotel.

Last bit of research for the day: Shiraz in Bloomingdale has $15 corkage (and they're almost staggering distance to the hotel Smile) They also have a free 60 oz Porterhouse if you consume it all in 45 minutes! Banana

Plenty of places to choose from...now just need to pick one that works for everyone.

posted Hide Post
My vote, for what it is worth (nothing), would be to give Glen Prairie a shot.

posted Hide Post
I think I'll bring an '83 Cockburn's Port.

And probably a 2003 CdP unless someone has a theme idea that I need to adjust for.

- Milton

posted Hide Post
I've eaten at Glen Prairie and enjoyed it. My wife not so much. They sat us at a table next to the crowded bar and someone sneezed on her. Ruined the evening.

VM

Posts: 12285 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shiraz looks fine. As long as we don't have to bring any Shiraz....

- Milton

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Me:
I've eaten at Glen Prairie and enjoyed it. My wife not so much. They sat us at a table next to the crowded bar and someone sneezed on her. Ruined the evening.

VM

So...aside from that unfortunate expulsion of mucus, how was the evening? Food? Decor? If we could guarantee a sneeze-free evening, would she go back?

posted Hide Post
What was it that ruined the evening?

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36831 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I may be in the area. Is there room for 2 more?
I would love to meet some of you guys, even if you are just lowly Blackhawk fans...

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3116 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post