WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Off-Line Events    Chicago February 19th - 6:30 at Glen Prairie
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chicago February 19th - 6:30 at Glen Prairie
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk:

However, since you guys seem to be leaning toward the "Zinfandel over 16%" category, I guess I'll have to stop at Binny's.

You can certainly bring whatever you want, but if you bring a "Zin over 16%", there's a good chance you won't be invited back. Big Grin

Posts: 3594 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey guys. Any room for 1 or 2 more? Seems like quite a collection of folks and I am available this time. I would love to join in the festivities (unsure about my +1 at this point) if it is still possible?

Posts: 72 | Location: Lisle, IL | Registered: Sep 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
At least those two theme choices would exclude Cab Francs from MI.

I promise not to impose any Michigan wines on you guys. I'm guessing Vino Me probably does that enough already (?).

I think Bill is referring to an offline a couple months ago when I brought the 2008 Wyncroft Cabernet Franc Bouchet Wren Song Vineyard. I thought it showed well (Bill87, Allred87, VM88-89).

VM

Posts: 12285 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, I've got it in my head that I should probably NOT bring:
1) Overly oaked California Chard
2) Michigan Cab Franc
3) Zinfandel with over 16% alcohol

Any suggestions on what I SHOULD bring?

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3116 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1982 1st growth? Razz

Redhawk, we generally don't have any kind of theme other than bring a nice bottle you would like to share. We poke fun at each other and for the most part enjoy trying/drinking lots of different styles. Except VM and domestic Chardonnay, that is, but that's OK.

VinT, assuming you are handling reservations please reserve space for Dan and his possible +1. He is one of our regulars. I'm sure on a Tuesday they can easily accomodate us.

Posts: 5471 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We are booked in the private dining room at Glen Prairie for 6:30pm on February 19th.
1250 Roosevelt Road
Glen Ellyn, Illinois
(630) 613-1250

We will not be subject to a minimum charge to use this room. I have been assured glassware will not be an issue. The restaurant is okay with us ordering off the menu until we reach 18-20 people after which we will be looking at a fixed menu. Dan and his +1 bring us to 15 or 16, which is fine.

My only question now is...MAGNUMS, ANYONE???

Posts: 2803 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Me:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
At least those two theme choices would exclude Cab Francs from MI.

I promise not to impose any Michigan wines on you guys. I'm guessing Vino Me probably does that enough already (?).

I think Bill is referring to an offline a couple months ago when I brought the 2008 Wyncroft Cabernet Franc Bouchet Wren Song Vineyard. I thought it showed well (Bill87, Allred87, VM88-89).

VM

I noticed you left off my 86. But I'm a notoriously tough grader Big Grin

Posts: 3594 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:

My only question now is...MAGNUMS, ANYONE???

I'll bring a mag of 2003 Neal cab and some other stuff.

posted Hide Post
I will bring a magnum of 2003 Bergstrom Pinot Noir Willamette Valley Arcus Vineyard.

J3

Wine makes me smile.

Posts: 808 | Location: Chicago Western Suburbs | Registered: Nov 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Magnum of 2000 Château La Nerthe Châteauneuf-du-Pape.

I'll also bring a dessert wine tbd.

VM

Posts: 12285 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sadly, none of the 4 magnums I own (all '04 CdP's) are ready yet. Perhaps I can bring two of the same Champy. I have multiples of both the pink NV Prie as well as the "regular" brut.

Posts: 5471 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The offsite storage space where we keep the vast majority of our mags is unavailable, so our options are somewhat limited. Suffice to say we will find something drinkable.

Posts: 1599 | Location: St. Charles, IL | Registered: Dec 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My mag selection is limited, as well. Will probably have to bring two 750s. Right now, I'm leaning toward a nice vintage Champagne unless the group prefers that I bring a red?

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3116 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No mags from me either. I'm assuming a 750 of port will be enough for everyone to get some.

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3482 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Right now, I'm leaning toward a nice vintage Champagne unless the group prefers that I bring a red?

They're both favorites. (Said in my best Brian Regan voice.)

We're pretty loose at our gatherings - just bring something you like.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:

Well, there is this nice red that a buddy makes in his basement. He imports Sierra Foothills Zinfandel, blends it with Michigan Cab Franc, tosses in a dollop of Californa Chard, then ages it in 300% new American oak. It's about 17% alcohol, but the oak tends to cover up most of the heat...

Big Grin

Stay thirsty my friends.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:

Well, there is this nice red that a buddy makes in his basement. He imports Sierra Foothills Zinfandel, blends it with Michigan Cab Franc, tosses in a dollop of Californa Chard, then ages it in 300% new American oak. It's about 17% alcohol, but the oak tends to cover up most of the heat...

Big Grin

That violates all three of your points from your post of February 12th: Big Grin Somebody remind me not to sit on Redhawk's side of the table. Wink

quote:
OK, I've got it in my head that I should probably NOT bring:
1) Overly oaked California Chard
2) Michigan Cab Franc
3) Zinfandel with over 16% alcohol

Any suggestions on what I SHOULD bring?

posted Hide Post
Sorry to cancel at the last minute, but I'm not going to be able to make this.

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3482 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really hate to have to type this, but we're going to have to back out. VinT & Redhawk, hopefully we have an opportunity to hoist a few glasses in the near future.

Posts: 1599 | Location: St. Charles, IL | Registered: Dec 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AllRed & aphilla that's unfortunate as I was looking forward to meeting you. But given the number of Chicago offlines lately, your livers are probably appreciative. Catch you next time.

Current headcount:

billhike - 1 - confirmed
thelostverse - 2 confirmed
Redhawk - 2 - confirmed
Vino Me - 2 - confirmed
VinT - 1 - confirmed
Jcubed - 1 - confirmed
Dan - 1 confirmed, possibly 2

We're at 10 or 11, depending on Dan's +1. This diminishes the need for magnums, and may widen the range of possibilities people can bring.

As I was passing through duty free at the Toronto airport today, I couldn't resist these:

3 X 200ml bottles from Inniskillin:
2008 Vidal Icewine
2008 Cabernet Franc Icewine
2008 Riesling Icewine

Don't worry. I'll also bring some real wine. Wink

Posts: 2803 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aphilla and Allred,

So sorry we will have to miss you. My wife & I are having fun right now visiting downtown Chicago, and I'm sure we will be back sometime.

We are still on for tomorrow night and looking forward to meeting the rest of the group

Stay thirsty my friends.

posted Hide Post
Due to some cancellations, I am not bringing a magnum, but will bring a 1998 Domaine du Pegau Cuvee Laurence CDP.

J3

Wine makes me smile.

Posts: 808 | Location: Chicago Western Suburbs | Registered: Nov 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FYI for counting purposes, my +1 is confirmed as not being able to make it tomorrow night. I will still be there though. Looking forward to it.

Posts: 72 | Location: Lisle, IL | Registered: Sep 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not going to bring the mag either. I will bring several bottles though.

posted Hide Post
Had dinner at Jameson's Char Cut last night (courtesy of a vendor). Steaks were decent but the rest of the experience was thoroughly average. Thanks tlv for gently steering us away from there as an offline venue.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: VinT,