WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Off-Line Events    Minneapolis March 9th/10th
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Minneapolis March 9th/10th
 Login/Join 
posted
With these low temperatures I've been brainstorming fun activities, and as I've never attended a WS off-line I was wondering if any of the Minneapolis forumites would be interested.
Looks like it will have been almost a year since the last Minneapolis offline so I figured it's about time...

Posts: 149 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: Jul 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does no one drink wine in Minneapolis? lol
I'm not tied to March 9th/10th, so if anyone from the area or visiting is interested in an offline on a different date please do post.

Posts: 149 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: Jul 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd be happy to imbibe with a man of obvious taste such as yourself. With so few off-lines in MSP, most of us just don't check this section often.

In the United States, anyone can be President. That's the problem!

Posts: 1130 | Location: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I might be interested in joining up with you guys.

Posts: 165 | Location: Birchwood, WI | Registered: Mar 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bigfoot. Actually both my wife and I graduated from Michigan, albeit at different times. Did you attend or just a fan?
If you know other Minneapolis forumites please do inform them of the offline.
Tpety - would be great if you could make it as well. I'm relatively new to the forums so it would be great to meet some friendly faces.

quote:
Originally posted by Bigfoot003:
I'd be happy to imbibe with a man of obvious taste such as yourself. With so few off-lines in MSP, most of us just don't check this section often.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GoBlue2002:
Thanks Bigfoot. Actually both my wife and I graduated from Michigan, albeit at different times. Did you attend or just a fan?
Tpety - would be great if you could make it as well. I'm relatively new to the forums so it would be great to meet some friendly faces.

quote:
Sorry GoBlue...I will be out of town that weekend otherwise I would have loved to join in. Cheers!

Posts: 1770 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:

I did my undergrad at Miami (Schembechler's son was there at the time) and some post-grad work at UM. been a fan since age 3.

I'll pull in an old name from the board for the evening. He doesn't post much anymore, but is a good guy.

Posts: 1130 | Location: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good, seems like we are getting somewhat of a group together.
MJAlbers - what weekend would work for you?
Bigfoot and Tpety - do Sundays work for you in general? I have a downtown restaurant in mind which offers free corkage on Sunday and has a great menu (steaks, elk, buffalo ribeye, walleye, etc).

posted Hide Post
quote:
Good, seems like we are getting somewhat of a group together.
MJAlbers - what weekend would work for you?
Bigfoot and Tpety - do Sundays work for you in general? I have a downtown restaurant in mind which offers free corkage on Sunday and has a great menu (steaks, elk, buffalo ribeye, walleye, etc).

Sundays are good for me. The Monday after can be a different story however... LOL

posted Hide Post
I can easily make a Sunday work.

Posts: 165 | Location: Birchwood, WI | Registered: Mar 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bigfoot said there was something worth checking out over here on the WS board related to an offline. As long as you enjoy beating the crap out of Notre Dame, I'm in.

Posts: 1437 | Location: Land of the Sick Cab Weekend | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Red Vino:
Bigfoot said there was something worth checking out over here on the WS board related to an offline. As long as you enjoy beating the crap out of Notre Dame, I'm in.

There he is!

posted Hide Post
quote:
As long as you enjoy beating the crap out of Notre Dame, I'm in.

Most definitely yes. Unfortunately my wife is somewhat conflicted as she attended Michigan for graduate school but comes from a Notre Dame family.

Looks like we are starting to get a group together...
5 -- GoBlue2002 (+ wife, who has a more attuned nose than I), Bigfoot003, Tpety, Red Vino.
We'll plan on Sunday, March 10th for now, and I verified free corkage at FireLake Grill House downtown.
Potluck or does someone have a specific theme in mind?

posted Hide Post
quote:
FireLake Grill House

Just checked out the menu, nice choice of place. In looking at the dessert menu, sets up very nice for an aged colheita or tawny port. I certainly can bring one of those or can bring a cab, syrah or pinot. Aged or baby killing.

Posts: 1437 | Location: Land of the Sick Cab Weekend | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]As long as you enjoy beating the crap out of Notre Dame, I'm in.

Most definitely yes. Unfortunately my wife is somewhat conflicted as she attended Michigan for graduate school but comes from a Notre Dame family.

Many people seem to have reason(s) to dislike their inlaws - yours are clearly valid! LOL

posted Hide Post
I kind of enjoy the "potluck" approach instead of a theme for variety, but perhaps declare before we go as to cover the bases. But, I'm just a guest and will abide by whatever the group decides. Too bad MJAlbers cannot make it, long time no see.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tpety:
I kind of enjoy the "potluck" approach instead of a theme for variety, but perhaps declare before we go as to cover the bases. But, I'm just a guest and will abide by whatever the group decides. Too bad MJAlbers cannot make it, long time no see.

Potluck with declarations works for me. I like Red Vino's suggestion of colheita as I have never had one.
I'm also fine with moving the date to March 3rd or March 17th to accommodate MJAlbers, if everyone can make it on the makeup date.

posted Hide Post
March 3rd and 17th are bad for me. As well as the 24th and 31st too. Sorry.

If the 10th is a go, I will bring a colheita for dessert that has 30-50 years of age. Off the top of my head thinking Krohn 66 will do nicely.

posted Hide Post
Thanks guys...let's do another one soon when it warms up..

Posts: 1770 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJAlbers:
Thanks guys...let's do another one soon when it warms up..

Ok, so we'll stick with March 10th and have another offline in the summer. I guess I can offline twice in a year Banana

posted Hide Post
~ 2 weeks out so I figured I'd give a bump.
Looks like we'll have 5 people so I'll make the reservations for Sunday March 10th soon. Any time requests?
Red Vino has offered to bring aged colheita. I have a pretty broad cellar, but most of it is on the younger side. However, I can bring barolo, bordeaux blend, brunello, cab, CdP, pinot, super tuscan, or zinfandel. Suggestions?

posted Hide Post
I'll bring a Pinot from Oregon. One of BigFoot's favorites! Any time is fine with me.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tpety,

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tpety:
I'll bring a Pinot from Oregon. One of BigFoot's favorites! Any time is fine with me.

Nicely played Sir! One of my favorite vintages as well, I assume... Smack

Based on the previous wine selections posted, I'll stay away from any babies and bring a 1997 M. Chapoutier Cote Rotie Cuvee Mordoree, if that sounds good to everyone?

From a time perspective, since it is a Sunday and most of us (ahem...RV) have to work the next day, I'd go earlier vs later. 5-6PM.

posted Hide Post
Yeah, being a Sunday night, earlier is better for me as well. Put me down for a 2002 Beaux Freres Pinot Noir. I've never tried it, but heard it's better than Kosta Browne!

posted Hide Post
Reservations are set for FireLake Grill @ 5:30pm on Sunday, March 10th.
Wine choices sound great gentlemen. We have yet to drink an Oregon pinot or Cote Rotie of that calibur so we are looking forward to tasting them.
Looks like we could use a white so I'll bring a 2009 Paul Hobbs Chardonnay Ritchie Vineyard. As my wife will also be joining us I'll bring another bottle as well. I could bring 2005 Barolo, 2009 Bordeaux, 2004/6 Brunello, 2006 Napa Cab, 2006-9 CdP, or 2003/4 Super Tuscan. Thoughts?