WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Off-Line Events    Newark: December 15th 2012
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Newark: December 15th 2012
 Login/Join 
posted
There is a very good possibility that I will be in Newark for meetings the weekend of December 14th-16th. The Friday is probably tied up for a reception and meet and greet.

I realize it's close to the holidays, but tentatively, is there any interest in an offline?

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
as in Newark, NJ? Eek

Posts: 5118 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
as in Newark, NJ? Eek

yea i agree,

good luck!

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12021 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it is Newark, NJ, let us know and I'll come pick you up for an offline elsewhere. There are decent Portuguese/Spanish/Brazilian restaurants in the area, but they are never BYO friendly.

Posts: 5118 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
If it is Newark, NJ, let us know and I'll come pick you up for an offline elsewhere. There are decent Portuguese/Spanish/Brazilian restaurants in the area, but they are never BYO friendly.

and i certainly don't want to worry about my car, or worry about wearing my bulletproof vest.

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12021 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's Newark, NJ. I believe it's the corporate head office for Pfizer Pharmaceuticals. I'm invited to participate on an advisory board.

That being said, I fully expect to offline elsewhere, providing it's accessible.

posted Hide Post
Cool. If you don't want to stay near the office in Newark, NYC is a great option. There are a couple of easy commuting options between the two cities -- PATH and NJ Transit.

As of right now, either of those evenings work for me.

As for locations, NYC is central for the group but there are some good options in northern NJ as well.

posted Hide Post
I will leave it to the locals to decide on the best offline restaurants. As long as there is easy transportation, I'll be there. I'll know closer to the date, but just wanted to give a heads up to your group.

posted Hide Post
There will be big time happenings in Newark that weekend. Two shows by the Rolling Stones, the 13th and 15th, going to both, makes the 14th open. Take the train from Newark to Cranford, Pairings Restaurant, couple stops from Newark, DoubleD will attest.

Posts: 154 | Location: NJ | Registered: Jun 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Pairings is a great venue for NJ and Staten Island folks. We can also do a second offline in NYC if there is interest from g-man and others. Gentleman Farmer in NYC (the Bowery area) has BYO on Sundays, and the menu is terrific.

posted Hide Post
Don't think I'll be able to join you, as I'll be in NYC (SoHo) but if any of you happen to be in NYC, pls do drop a line.

Posts: 756 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Mar 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
count me in for NYC, need to update insurance policy and ensure my Kevlar hasn't expired if I am going to Newark.

Posts: 777 | Location: Long Island, NY | Registered: Jul 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like I have to cancel. I'll be in Newark for less than 24hrs. The sponsors have organized an advisory board member meeting on Friday evening, and I depart Saturday afternoon.
Sorry for creating any false hope, but we'll have to re-organize for another time.

posted Hide Post
Not a problem DoktaP. Just let us know when you're in town the next time.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Darcy:
Don't think I'll be able to join you, as I'll be in NYC (SoHo) but if any of you happen to be in NYC, pls do drop a line.

Hey, we're always looking for a reason to get together. Can you the 16th in case the 15th is difficult for folks?