WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Off-Line Events    DMV area (that is DC, MD, VA) - Thirsty for Brunello?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DMV area (that is DC, MD, VA) - Thirsty for Brunello?
 Login/Join 
posted
Paging DMV area forumites. Anyone up for an offline in late January 26? Or early Feb 2? I propose Brunello as a theme but i am also happy to go themeless. It has been a while since i attended an offline.

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1455 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Merengue:
Paging DMV area forumites. Anyone up for an offline in late January 26? Or early Feb 2? I propose Brunello as a theme but i am also happy to go themeless. It has been a while since i attended an offline.

i will have to check a few things, but i think i would be in for an offline on jan. 26 but probably out for one on feb. 2.

brunello works for me... cause i will have to buy wine no matter what the theme is.

and don't feel bad, merengue, there haven't been many offlines to attend in a while. Wink

Posts: 1002 | Location: Back in the 'burbs of D.C. | Registered: Feb 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saturdays are tough for me except for very late starts. I'll keep an eye on this thread, though. I have a couple of bottles of Brunello.

PH

Posts: 14637 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Saturdays are tough for me except for very late starts. I'll keep an eye on this thread, though. I have a couple of bottles of Brunello.

PH

How late is late? I don't mind a late start but it might complicate transport if some decide to use the metro. Any thoughts on venue?

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1455 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
How late is late?

Probably too late to be starting an offline.... 8ish or so. I'd suggest just trying to get this thing going without counting on me. As far as venue is concerned, if you want to stay in MoCo there are a few places, several in your neck of the woods. Unfortunately the county hasn't updated their list of corkage licensees since November, but here it is: CLICK.

PH

Posts: 14637 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
How late is late?

Probably too late to be starting an offline.... 8ish or so. I'd suggest just trying to get this thing going without counting on me. As far as venue is concerned, if you want to stay in MoCo there are a few places, several in your neck of the woods. Unfortunately the county hasn't updated their list of corkage licensees since November, but here it is: CLICK.

PH

i would say that to maximize attendance, we might wanna consider a DC restaurant since that is more central for the VA people (and usually Metro accessible).

looking at that list of MontCo restaurants that allow corkage, i'm a big fan of all Black's places (though they're not cheap), and i found Seasons 52 to be quite a pleasant surprise. went to a media preview there and had dinner there a couple months later. tasty food (best salmon i ever had), fairly healthy food, reasonably priced and a nice atmosphere. they also have a really nice private dining room. plus it's right by the White Flint Metro. and no, this is not a paid endorsement. ;-)

Posts: 1002 | Location: Back in the 'burbs of D.C. | Registered: Feb 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have to check with the Mrs. and her calendar but think there may be room for a couple Ohioans to join you guys again?

I think I might be able to help with the Pan, Pam dilemma

Posts: 715 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I recall Dinwiddie mentioning Dino (near Cleveland Park) was pretty good and since we are talking Brunello, italian seems to make sense. Has anybody eaten there? Nice? Good food? Room and equipment for an offline?

posted Hide Post
quote:
I think I recall Dinwiddie mentioning Dino (near Cleveland Park) was pretty good and since we are talking Brunello, italian seems to make sense. Has anybody eaten there? Nice? Good food? Room and equipment for an offline?

Dino has a very nice kitchen. It can be a little noisy in the main dining rooms though. Free corkage Monday-Wednesday to boot. They do have a private dining room, but there is a minimum food and beverage that has to be met. Last time I was there I had a wild boar ragu that was absolutely wonderful..... Not too bad with Brunello!! Winner

patespo1, I think I speak for the DMV winos when I say that you and the Mrs. are always welcome to drink wine with us!

PH

posted Hide Post
i was actually thinking about Dino, too. tis a little noisy, but great Northern Italian food and a natural with Brunello.

and i agree with PH on both counts: the wild boar ragu at Dino rocks, and the patespos are always welcome at our offlines.

personal update: looks like my availability has switched, and that i'd very likely be out on jan. 26 but in on feb. 2

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newsguy:
i was actually thinking about Dino, too. tis a little noisy, but great Northern Italian food and a natural with Brunello.

and i agree with PH on both counts: the wild boar ragu at Dino rocks, and the patespos are always welcome at our offlines.

personal update: looks like my availability has switched, and that i'd very likely be out on jan. 26 but in on feb. 2

Interesting; I may have a last minute trip (pending confirmation) that week as well which would make Feb 2nd better.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Interesting; I may have a last minute trip (pending confirmation) that week as well which would make Feb 2nd better.

then feb. 2 looking like a definite maybe. Wink of course, would be nice to hear from a few more people.

anyone? bueller? Cool

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newsguy:
quote:

then feb. 2 looking like a definite maybe. Wink of course, would be nice to hear from a few more people.

anyone? bueller? Cool

We are a definite..maybe. Should know by beginning of next week. I passed info along to Jersey Foodie as well.

Posts: 715 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patespo1:

We are a definite..maybe. Should know by beginning of next week. I passed info along to Jersey Foodie as well.

excellent!

posted Hide Post
December 2 might be good for me and I think Jake would probably be interested too. Unfortunately my cellar is very sparse in Italian wine, and what there is is Tuscan. I do have a couple of bottles of a very nice 2000 Langhe.

When in doubt, open another bottle.

Posts: 2581 | Location: Silver Spring MD (Near DC) | Registered: Nov 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am out for February 2. Have a blast, gang!

PH

posted Hide Post
We are out, going to Florida for Super Bowl party

posted Hide Post
Sorry to miss you, PH. And ditto patespo1. Enjoy that Super Bowl party.

So that would leave merengue+1 and dinwiddie+1 and newsguy+1. That would be six (full pours!), which works for me.

So you both definitely in?

posted Hide Post
warning: on tuesday, i am going to have to commit to working a couple weekend shifts for the coming two weekends. if i don't get a sense here that we're gonna try to do something on feb. 2, i might have to end up working. so lemme know.

posted Hide Post
I am still in but likely on my own. But i am Wondering if we should try later when more people are interested?

posted Hide Post
turns out i am working this saturday, so 2/2 remains open as an offline possibility. but i think you've got a point, merengue. it seems like we are down to so few possible attendees, maybe we should just try for a later date?

an earlier thread elsewhere mentioned that stefania wine might be coming to the DC area in late february and we would hope to do a dinner with paul/stef.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: newsguy,