WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Off-Line Events    Edmonton January 22? Possibly the 23rd?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Edmonton January 22? Possibly the 23rd?
 Login/Join 
posted
As I recall, there are one or two forumites there? Might have something the second night. Gonna be downtown. If nothing else, will drop some coin at DeVine Wine! Cool

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!

Posts: 10769 | Location: Oakville Ontario | Registered: Jan 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
As I recall, there are one or two forumites there? Might have something the second night. Gonna be downtown. If nothing else, will drop some coin at DeVine Wine! Cool

bman, if an offline doesn't happen you can alway take in Sharks/Oilers! Wink

Posts: 5539 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
quote:
Originally posted by bman:

bman, if an offline doesn't happen you can alway take in Sharks/Oilers! Wink

If it was the Bruins, for sure! Cool

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!

Posts: 10769 | Location: Oakville Ontario | Registered: Jan 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bman:

It's just me now. CellarFiend has been AWOL for some time, dunno what happened to him. If you're interested in getting together we could meet up for dinner downtown either the 22nd or 23rd.

Punch it , Chewie!

Posts: 1388 | Location: Edmonton | Registered: Jul 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mitPradikat:
bman:

It's just me now. CellarFiend has been AWOL for some time, dunno what happened to him. If you're interested in getting together we could meet up for dinner downtown either the 22nd or 23rd.

Great! It would have to be tomorrow as I have a meeting until 8pm the next night. I'm at the Courtyard downtown and should arrive around 6:30 barring unforeseen circumstances. We could meet there - I'll tell the front desk to let me know if anyone shows up asking for bman! Smile

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!

posted Hide Post
Bman,

Bad news! I'm really sorry about this. I got home and checked my master calendar and I had forgotten that I'm otherwise engaged tomorrow and Wednesday. Really sorry to cancel out on you. I hope your trip goes smoothly and your meeting is productive. Also sorry that the weather will be crap!

Punch it , Chewie!

Posts: 1388 | Location: Edmonton | Registered: Jul 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bman,

The least I can do is recommend a couple of places near your hotel that would be good for food. Edmonton doesn't really have a tremendous fine dining scene, but there are several downtown establishments that are pretty decent.

Corso 32 is probably the most sought after place, but tough to get a table. Maybe easier if you happen to be alone.

Tzin Wine and Tapas and Lit Wine Bar are both at 104th Street and Jasper Ave. Tzin is great, but I haven't been to Lit. Devine Wines and Spirits is right there too, and I gather you'll be doing some shopping.

The Hardware Grill is also close by at Jasper and 97th street. Usually pretty dependable food. Used to be a hardware store. My dad used to take me there when we needed PVC pipe, and now it's one of the city's best restaurants!

Anyway, in spite of the frigid temperatures and all the snow I hope you enjoy your brief time in Edmonton. Hopefully next time you're in town I'll be able to put together something for you. Every time I go to an offline when I'm travelling, I'm humbled by the warm hospitality and I've been wanting to return the favour. Now I finally had a chance but stupid work gets in the way again!

Punch it , Chewie!

posted Hide Post
No worries mPk, we will get another chance - I'll probably be in town about once a year as long as I have this job.

And thanks for the recommendations - are any of those within walking distance of the Courtyard? And do any offer fairly priced nice wines by the glass? Or is that as much as a pipedream in Alberta as it is in Ontario?

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!

posted Hide Post
I'm not sure about by the glass pricing at Hardware since I've never ordered wine there (we usually go for special family occasions and my family doesn't drink). They're the closest to you, about 1-2 blocks.

Tzin and Lit are about 5 blocks away on 104th St. They might be your best bet for wines by the glass that are interesting. I've not tried Lit yet. As for Tzin, I haven't been there within the past year and the last few times were tasting events with my local tasting group so I haven't ordered by the glass in some time.

If you really felt like a longer walk there is also Sabor Divino which has great food and the sommelier, Nick, is very good. Not sure how the prices compare to Ontario, but I think you'll enjoy the meal.

Punch it , Chewie!

posted Hide Post
Got some bottles at DeVine - those guys are great. Nice to be amongst one's own winegeek kind!

Tzin is not open for lunch so went to Lit and frankly, it was horrible! Had a calamari starter that was an original presentation (lightly breaded whole scored tubes) but the breading slid off when you cut the tube and was pasty in the mouth. And over priced for what you got. Ditto the very short wine by the glass list. Spent over $30 for 5 calamari tubes and 4 ounces of NZ sauvignon blanc, including tax and tip. Server was pleasant and attentive but clueless.

Gonna try Corso tonight if I can get in - they said they were full but I will try when I finish my late meeting around 8pm and hope for the best.

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!

posted Hide Post
Bman,

I'm glad you had success at Devine. They're a good store. There are other good independent stores in Edmonton, but none with the depth of wine knowledge and geekiness that Devine has. Dirk's knowledge of Bordeaux and Port is impressive, while Ed's passion for the Rhone and aromatic whites is unrivalled. Annabelle is the city's authority on Portuguese wines.

Yikes, sorry about that experience at Lit. Like I said, I haven't been there yet but it was on my list of places to try.

How did it work out at Corso 32? It's tough to get in there. My wife and I have been there once, for a 5 pm reservation that we booked 2 months in advance! The food was amazing though and the servers knowledgeable.

Next time you're in town hopefully we'll be able to take you to a proper restaurant with a bottle from my cellar.

Punch it , Chewie!

posted Hide Post
I started out for Corso 32 but the wind and cold and the fact that I could not get a reservation in the first place persuaded me to go to The Underground for beers instead. Tried 3 of them and was not disappointed. Food was "meh" but not bad, given that the place is all about beer. Not a bad finish to my 36 hours in Edmonton!

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!