WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Off-Line Events    Chicago Friday March 15th
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chicago Friday March 15th
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
IW - what's Boka charging for corkage?

homogeneity is boring

Posts: 97 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Matthew,

Corkage is $15

Life without wine?...... Yeah Right.
The Unexamined Life Is Not Worth Living - Socrates
"Wine....offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than possibly any other purely sensory thing which may be purchased" ERNEST HEMINGWAY (1889-1961)

ITB

Posts: 4921 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: Nov 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A client and friend of ours will be in Chicago and will also be attending. The current total is 17. I know he will have an interesting magnum to bring.

IW

"Wine....offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than possibly any other purely sensory thing which may be purchased" ERNEST HEMINGWAY (1889-1961)

ITB

Posts: 4921 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: Nov 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I may have to source something for this- suggestions welcome! Otherwise I'll work something out.

Posts: 851 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Aug 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't think of a better way to celebrate the passing of my biggest deadline than with a great meal with plenty of friends and good wine!

We're planning on bringing, both in magnum:

1995 Bonneau du Martray Corton Charlemagne
2000 Paul Jaboulet Aîné Hermitage La Chapelle

Posts: 1558 | Location: St. Charles, IL | Registered: Dec 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Allred

Those are two great wines. Thanks for sharing. I have had only 1 La Chappelle in my life.

IW

ITB

posted Hide Post
Sad to say that my wife and I will not be able to attend. I was informed that we will be out of town visiting friends that weekend.

Sorry to miss everyone. Have fun.

VM

Posts: 12163 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Me:
Sad to say that my wife and I will not be able to attend. I was informed that we will be out of town visiting friends that weekend.

Sorry to miss everyone. Have fun.

VM

You're among friends VM, you can be honest. Was it the Chardonnay we're bringing? Big Grin

Posts: 1558 | Location: St. Charles, IL | Registered: Dec 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to miss U this time around VM. Current total is now 15.

IW

ITB

posted Hide Post
My cellar is mag-less. I'll hunt for a couple bottles of something good. Is there a regional/varietal theme emerging beside bottle size?

Cheers,

Otis

Posts: 3417 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No particular theme Otis. Just really good wine

ITB

posted Hide Post
Mine isn't mag-less, but all my mags are very young, so I won't bring any of those. I am continuing to think about what I plan on bringing. If it helps anyone, I tried to consolidate the list of what everyone is bringing:

1995 Bonneau du Martray Corton Charlemagne (magnum)
2000 Paul Jaboulet Aîné Hermitage La Chapelle (magnum)
1977 Fonseca Vintage Port
1995 Denis Mugneret NsG Les Saint Georges
2001 Feudi di San Gregorio Serpico
2002 Long Shadows Chester Kidder Red (magnum)

Those are just the ones that seemed to be "confirmed". I know VM & IW both had a list of wines they were still choosing from.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Wine Sparty,

Posts: 3070 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not made my final decision yet. I may be bringing the Flaccianello mag instead of the '95 NsG. Plus I am bringing a 750ml of rose' Champagne

I do know that my friend/client is bringing a mag of 2002 Long Shadows Chester Kidder Red.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Italian Wino,

ITB

posted Hide Post
I have to drop out. Some friends are in town for the Big 10 Tourney and I have to play tour guide. Enjoy!

homogeneity is boring

Posts: 97 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Current total is 14. Matthew hopefully you can join us in the future.

IW

ITB

posted Hide Post
IW, during dinner last night with Allred, he said you were looking for a good Mexican restaurant in Chicago. Obviously everyone knows Frontera and Topolobampo, but my wife and I went to a new Michelin Star Mexican restaurant this week. Mexique. It's Mexican food prepared in a French style - I've heard some call it Frexican Big Grin. Can't speak to the service as we went on Tuesday during a monster snow storm when pretty much everyone stayed home. We were literally the only ones in the place, and they closed when we left. There were no waiters, so a busboy was pressed into service. But the food was spectacular.

Posts: 3544 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Verse.

ITB

posted Hide Post
TLV: More love here for Mexique. Fantastic spot!

But more importantly, there is a GREAT dive bar around the corner called the Chipp Inn. You would love it! Perhaps my favorite drinking establishment in the entire city. Old school neighborhood watering spot. Cool

Cheers,

Otis

Posts: 3417 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good to know Otis. Mexique worked perfectly for pre-Hawks game as it is less than two miles from the UC. Add in a dive bar nearby, and now you're ready for some hockey.

Posts: 3544 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those that may not know here is the info about Boka:

1729 N Halsted St, Chicago, IL 60614

7:30pm Start (14 people)

Dorrie and I are looking forward to a great gathering of friends, food and certaintly the sharing of some good vino.

IW

ITB

posted Hide Post
I'm bummed about this, but I can't make it to this anymore. I hope everyone has a great time and all wines show well.

Posts: 3070 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Me and my +1 have to drop out as well- apologies for the late notice.

I hope you guys have a great time!

Posts: 851 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Aug 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry you cannot join us guys. Current total is 11. I am bringing the 1995 Denis Mugneret NsG Les Saint Georges mag plus a 750ml of Rose Champagne

ITB

posted Hide Post
IW:

Finally getting around to picking out the wine. Give me your preference of the following choices:

1) 2 bottles of 2000 Pichon Baron
2) 2 bottles of 2001 Sette Ponti Oreno
3) 1 bottle of each

Your call!

Cheers,

Otis

posted Hide Post
A few might be wondering about me, since this is my 'hood. I'm out, I have a competition Saturday morning, can't afford to be out late or hung over. Sorry, maybe catch you next time IW.

Go Habs Go

Posts: 5557 | Location: Chicago | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post