WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Off-Line Events    Chicago Friday March 15th
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chicago Friday March 15th
 Login/Join 
posted
Me and my wife Dorrie will be in Chicago the middle of March celebrating our 4th anniversary and thought a gathering of the CWM and any other chicago forumites is in order on Friday March 15th. I am open to anything but a BYO restaurant in downtown Chicago is preferred. Theme?

IW

Life without wine?...... Yeah Right.
The Unexamined Life Is Not Worth Living - Socrates
"Wine....offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than possibly any other purely sensory thing which may be purchased" ERNEST HEMINGWAY (1889-1961)

ITB

Posts: 5002 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: Nov 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like fun but I'll be out of town, sorry.

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3482 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IW, I will keep tabs on this thread. My other half will be working late and I've been given the green light to make a solo trek. Would love to meet you and share a fun evening.

Posts: 5468 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I should be available.

J3

Wine makes me smile.

Posts: 808 | Location: Chicago Western Suburbs | Registered: Nov 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This could be a possibility for me. I will check with the boss to see if she is intereted in getting a sitter or if I'm allowed out on my own that night.

Posts: 3223 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Domino is in, but that's my biggest deadline (corporate tax returns due 3/15), so it will be tough for me, but should be doable.

Count us as 1 plus 1 tentative.

Posts: 1597 | Location: St. Charles, IL | Registered: Dec 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lets talk about a venue. I know a few restaurants that have hosted us in the past. Are there any that the Chicago crew have enjoyed recently? The last one we had at Boka on Halsted was a good time. If people want to try this I will call the owner as he is a good friend. There is also a good Italian restaurant named Vinci across the street from Boka that did a good job. I am open to just about anything as long as there are some non meat dishes for my wife to enjoy.

IW

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Italian Wino,

"Wine....offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than possibly any other purely sensory thing which may be purchased" ERNEST HEMINGWAY (1889-1961)

ITB

Posts: 5002 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: Nov 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We can probably make this work. Put us down for two.

Posts: 3592 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm in AllRed's boat...a big deadline, but because it's a Friday I can probably swing it.

Put me down for two.

Posts: 864 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Aug 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I should be available, again. BOKA normally charges a pretty stiff corkage fee, so I hope that you'd to get them to waive it through your relationship with the chef. If so, I'd be happy with either BOKA or Vinci.

Posts: 233 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jun 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I e-mailed Vinci and received a reply that wines 10 years or younger would have a $15 corkage fee. No fee for wines older than that.

Posts: 5468 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
FWIW, I e-mailed Vinci and received a reply that wines 10 years or younger would have a $15 corkage fee. No fee for wines older than that.

Bill- should we just hit that burrito joint on Western?? Ha ha, j/k.

$15 at Vinci is reasonable.

Otherwise I know in the past some folks met at Kiki's Bistro for an offline, and I hear it was solid.

Posts: 864 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Aug 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The burrito place after Flogging Molly on Saturday might be a possibility! Big Grin

posted Hide Post
I live around the corner from Davinci...would be interested in attending.

homogeneity is boring

Posts: 97 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
UPDATE

I got Boka restaurant to lower their corkage fee to $15. They are willing to do a pre arranged 3 or 4 course meal or we can just order off the menu. What do you guys prefer? If we submit our wines to them in advance they will come up with items that match with them. My preferences lean toward Boka over Vinci. I have made a reservation for 15 people. If we need to adjust this number we can. If you need to reach me offline my email is justinhome at msn dot com.

IW

ITB

posted Hide Post
Looks good at the present time so put me down for 2.

VM

Posts: 12281 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It looks like we are out. I forgot about an annual charity event that we attend. Sorry to miss this.

Posts: 3592 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Boka sounds good. put me down for 1.

homogeneity is boring

Posts: 97 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's no way I am going to miss BOKA...we're in for two IW, thanks for setting it up. Absolutely fine with either the regular or prearranged menu. Some of the best dishes I've ever had have come out of Guiseppe's kitchen...will be fantastic either way.

Posts: 1597 | Location: St. Charles, IL | Registered: Dec 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In for 2, thanks for arranging!

posted Hide Post
Lets all post the wine you would like to bring. I think it would be fun to submit them to the wine director so he can share them with the kitchen. If we decide to go with the pre arranged menu I will ask them to go with a flat price per person, so everyone knows in advance. We still have 6 weeks before the dinner so that should give us plenty of time to come up with some interesting wines to share. I am seriously thinking of a young Flaccianello or an aged rioja gran reserva (1983 Bodegas Martinez Bujanda Conde de Valdemar Gran Reserva). This could change though.

IW

ITB

posted Hide Post
Planning to be in town to visit a friend for St. Paddy's weekend, so please tentatively put me down for 2. Thanks! Will be great to meet some of the famed Chicago crew.

Posts: 1007 | Location: Back in the 'burbs of D.C. | Registered: Feb 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's hoping your schedule plays out favorably, newsguy!

IW, when I saw that you made the reservation for 15, a little voice in my head began shouting "magnum" repeatedly.

Some options:
1995 Bonneau du Martray Corton Charlemagne
1989 Chateau Beychevelle
Some older Siduri Pinots (1998/1999), back when Adam was making some lovely wines that didn't push the ripeness envelope.

We can always just keep an eye on things and fill in with a couple of 750s of something else we'd need.

posted Hide Post
Allred,

A magnum or two plus some 750s would be fun. That Corton Charlemagne sounds awesome. I have not given the restaurant a start time. Is 7:30pm good for everyone?

IW

ITB

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Italian Wino:
Allred,

A magnum or two plus some 750s would be fun. That Corton Charlemagne sounds awesome. I have not given the restaurant a start time. Is 7:30pm good for everyone?

IW

I think 7:30p sounds perfect. Love that this will be a Friday.

I'll have to think about wine...will post at a later time.