WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Off-Line Events    Chicago Friday March 15th
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chicago Friday March 15th
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
730 is great.

homogeneity is boring

Posts: 97 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllRed:
Here's hoping your schedule plays out favorably, newsguy!

IW, when I saw that you made the reservation for 15, a little voice in my head began shouting "magnum" repeatedly.

well thanks, allred. i truly hope to be able to make this.

and even though i'd need to source a bottle, with a crowd surpassing a dozen, this really does need to be a magnum offline (at at least predominantly magnums), doesn't it? what's really the point of 1.5 oz. pours, anyway? just when you might start to get a handle on what it tastes like, it's gone.

and 7:30 will certainly work for us.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: newsguy,

Posts: 1007 | Location: Back in the 'burbs of D.C. | Registered: Feb 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is the list of attendees so far:

IW and better half
Jcubed
Wine Sparty +1
Allred +1
Ebwine +1
Scott M.
Matthew L.
Vino Me +1
Newsguy +1
Otis +1

That is 17. Anyone else want to join us?

IW

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Italian Wino,

Life without wine?...... Yeah Right.
The Unexamined Life Is Not Worth Living - Socrates
"Wine....offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than possibly any other purely sensory thing which may be purchased" ERNEST HEMINGWAY (1889-1961)

ITB

Posts: 4984 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: Nov 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any start time is fine with me. I could bring a 2001 Feudi di San Gregorio Serpico.

Posts: 233 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jun 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An aged Serpico sounds good. Have not had one in a while.

IW

"Wine....offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than possibly any other purely sensory thing which may be purchased" ERNEST HEMINGWAY (1889-1961)

ITB

Posts: 4984 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: Nov 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott McDonald:
Any start time is fine with me. I could bring a 2001 Feudi di San Gregorio Serpico.

Tasted one tonight coincidentally...still tannic, but with an intriguing burnt rubber quality underneath the dark fruit. Tasty.

Posts: 1591 | Location: St. Charles, IL | Registered: Dec 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I plan to bring a 1998 Domaine du Pégaü Châteauneuf-du-Pape Cuvée Laurence.

J3

Wine makes me smile.

Posts: 806 | Location: Chicago Western Suburbs | Registered: Nov 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now up to 17 people.

ITB

posted Hide Post
Do you guys want a 3,4 or 5 course meal for a set price or do you a want to just order items straight off the menu? Thanks.

Jcubed,
I love '98 CdP. Looking forward to trying your Pegau

ITB

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Italian Wino:
Do you guys want a 3,4 or 5 course meal for a set price or do you a want to just order items straight off the menu? Thanks.

won't know for a while yet whether we will definitely be able to attend. but that said, i would vote for ordering off the menu. gives people a nice flexibility. if we had a wine theme, letting the chef plan a menu for us around the wines would be awesome. but the wines will be a potpourri, so i like the idea of diners being able to just order what they want.

Posts: 1007 | Location: Back in the 'burbs of D.C. | Registered: Feb 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would also much rather prefer ordering off the menu. I'm not exactly an adventurous eater, so being able to choose my own order is the way I would like to go.

I'm still trying to figure out what to bring, and whether my wife will attend.

Posts: 3180 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will inform Boka that we are just going to order off the menu. Works for me also.

ITB

posted Hide Post
IW,

Unfortunately, I don't have a magnum of the Pegau. Make sure you get some before it goes.

J3

Wine makes me smile.

Posts: 806 | Location: Chicago Western Suburbs | Registered: Nov 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcubed:
IW,

Unfortunately, I don't have a magnum of the Pegau. Make sure you get some before it goes.

J3

J3, where have you been hiding?

Looking forward to sharing wine again, and soon.

Posts: 30081 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
w+a,

I ain't been hiding. I'm just well-camouflaged. Let us know when you're in our neck of the woods next, and we'll be happy to share a few glasses.

J3

Wine makes me smile.

posted Hide Post
Magnums are a good idea for the size of this group. A few mags I am considering:

2000 Château La Nerthe Châteauneuf-du-Pape
2004 Alvaro Palacios Priorat Les Terrasses
2003 Neal Family Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon

VM

Posts: 12251 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Italian Wino:
Now up to 17 people.

so i guess we're bringing 3Ls now?

homogeneity is boring

Posts: 97 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Me:
Magnums are a good idea for the size of this group. A few mags I am considering:

2000 Château La Nerthe Châteauneuf-du-Pape
2004 Alvaro Palacios Priorat Les Terrasses
2003 Neal Family Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon

VM

In 2007, Lentini and I did a Neal vertical tasting (2001-2004), and the '03 was drinking quite nicely (90+) after a few hours decant. I bet that mag would be singing now even as a pop and pour.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: newsguy,

posted Hide Post
I am thinking of a rose Champagne to start (750ml) and a Mag of 2007 Fontodi Flaccianello. I know the Flac is young. If I find an older one for a good price I may grab it.

ITB

posted Hide Post
It is very disappointing, but a situation has come up and I will be unable to make the Chicago trip I had been hoping to do, so will be unable to attend the offline. Have a good time, everyone.

posted Hide Post
Sorry to miss you this time around Newsguy. Now have 15 people.

IW

ITB

posted Hide Post
You guys help me chose which magnum to bring:

2007 Flaccianello
2007 DuMol Eddie's Patch Syrah
2005 Beaux Freres Upper Terrace PN
2004 Adrian Fog Oppenlander Vineyard PN
2004 Pax Alder Springs The Terraces Syrah
2004 Robert Foley Claret
2004 Thackrey Orion
2003 Bergstrom Arcus Vyrd PN
2003 Merry Edwards Olivet Lane PN
2003 Togni Estate Cab
2003 Viader Cuvee "V"
2002 Burge Family G3 Red Wine
2002 Red Car Amour Fou PN
2001 Andrew Geoffrey Cab
2000 Armando Parusso Bussia Vigna Munie Barolo
2000 Blankiet Paradise Hills Cab
2000 Robert Foley Claret
1998 Ken Wright Carter Vineyard PN
1996 Arrowood Reserve Speciale Cab
1996 Vineyard 29 Cab
1995 Denis Mugneret NsG Les Saint Georges
1992 Vineyard 29 Cab
1991 Pahlmeyer Red Wine
1989 Bodegas Muga Rioja Gran Reserva

ITB

posted Hide Post
I'd vote for 2004 Robert Foley Claret or 2007 Flaccianello.

Posts: 233 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jun 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1995 Denis Mugneret NsG Les Saint Georges

homogeneity is boring

posted Hide Post
I'm changing the wine that I will bring. I will bring a 1977 Fonseca Vintage Port.

J3

Wine makes me smile.