WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Off-Line Events    Montreal - December
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Montreal - December
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
bman, why not just stick with your original plan?

Don't overthink the 'points'. I'd rather see you bring something 'interesting' and 'special' to you that you want to share.

Posts: 15631 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
bman, why not just stick with your original plan?

Don't overthink the 'points'. I'd rather see you bring something 'interesting' and 'special' to you that you want to share.

But I MUST bring a big point wine!!!! Horse Horse Horse Besides, my original plan went only as far as the Clos Apalta, and I'm jonesing for sharing something Italian, especially with those who will really enjoy it, since I drink so little of it day to day.

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!

Posts: 10732 | Location: Oakville Ontario | Registered: Jan 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bman, do not open the 2007 Saffredi yet, unless you need to remove some teeth enamel. It will be a great bottle wine one day, but it's a tannic beast right now.

Posts: 10211 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2005 Vega Sicilia Alion
2003 Domaine de Baumard Clos du Papillon Savennieres(white)

or
maybe a 2004 Clos des Papes

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mimik,

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com

Posts: 6634 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately we're going to have to withdraw from this dinner tonight as J and I are still both sick. Frown Very nasssty flu bug someone gave me. Nevermind that neither of us can taste anything, none of you want this.

Look forward to reading about the wines here tomorrow.

Posts: 10211 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bummer. Sorry you and J can't make it, steve8, but understand.
Hope you're feeling better soon and not spending your Holidays sick, only to return healthy to work Frown

Posts: 15631 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Date: Saturday, December 29th
Place: Le Smoking Vallee
Time: 18:00pm

Updated, collated, list of those attending and their declarations:

bman (2)
- 2005 Clos Apalta
- 2001 Pio Cesare barolo
Impulse (2)
- 2007 Jonata La Sangre de Jonata
- 2008 Achaval-Ferrer Finca Bella Vista
Uncle John (2)
- 1989 Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin Champagne Trilennium Reserve Cuvée
- 2005 Don Melchor
lovelandre (2)
- 2005 Cuvee des cadettes, Chateau la Nerthe
KSC02 (2)
- 2005 Peter Michael Les Pavots
- 1977 Taylor (Fladgate)
Robo Porker (2)
- 2005 Vega Sicilia Alion
- 2003 Domaine de Baumard Clos du Papillon Savennieres(white)
vinaigre (2)
- 2008 Guigal Condrieu La Dorianne
- 2009 Huët Vouvray Moelleux 1ère Trie Le Mont

Uncle John has suggested post-Supper cigars and drinks. This would likely be at Stogies (2015 Crescent Street , corner of de Maisonneuve) afterwards, for those interested. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KSC02,

posted Hide Post
quote:
Hope you're feeling better soon and not spending your Holidays sick, only to return healthy to work Frown

Ditto!
Get better soon, both of you!
Happy New year to you and J

JL

Posts: 1681 | Location: Montréal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will bring 2 (750) 2008 Guigal Condrieu La Dorianne

Also will have a sticky, just in case...
2009 Huët Vouvray Moelleux 1ère Trie Le Mont

JL

Posts: 1681 | Location: Montréal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was only consternating (is that even a word?!) over the second wine, the first is the 2005 Clos Apalta. For the second I think I'll bring the 2001 Pio Cesare barolo. It only got 94 points from Wine Spectator but it made their Top 100 which I hope compensates to some extent for the missing point.... Wink Razz Devilish

BTW, I seem to recall that at the last offline there was talk of sharing a case of a certain wine we tasted which all of us liked, but had to be bought by the case. Since I'm not sure when I'll be in Montreal again, if it was possible to do that sharing now, I'd be all for that!

And while on the topic, if anyone had other bottles they wanted to trade or whatever, especially from the US, pls speak up! Smile

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!

Posts: 10732 | Location: Oakville Ontario | Registered: Jan 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vinaigre:
quote:

Ditto!
Get better soon, both of you!
Happy New year to you and J

But who will talk with about Tigers and Bruins? Frown

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
...consternating (is that even a word?!)

Indeed! Smile

consternate - fill with anxiety, dread, dismay, or confusion;

List above updated and 'consternation' removed Big Grin

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
...consternating (is that even a word?!)

Indeed! Smile

consternate - fill with anxiety, dread, dismay, or confusion;

List above updated and 'consternation' removed Big Grin

I learn so much from you Americans.....

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
Unfortunately we're going to have to withdraw from this dinner tonight as J and I are still both sick. Frown Very nasssty flu bug someone gave me. Nevermind that neither of us can taste anything, none of you want this.

Look forward to reading about the wines here tomorrow.

Hope you two feel better soon. See you in 2013.

Going where the water tastes like wine

Posts: 743 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Jul 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rest up, Steve, you guys have to be in shape for the next time .

Posts: 261 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Dec 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speedy recuperation Steve and J!!

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

Posts: 6634 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another fantastic offline with fantastic people and wines. Not a loser in either group!! But I woke up this morning soooooooooooooooooooooo sick with a killer cold - did Steve and J sneak in and drink out of my glass when I wasn't looking?

My wines of the night were the les Pavots, 77 Taylor and la Jonata, with honourable mentions to the Chateau la Nerthe and the condrieu. But like I said, every bottle was great.

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!

posted Hide Post
Bman,

Truly the pleasure and privilege are all our ours. Thanks for gracing us with you and M's presence during the holiday season. See you soon in the new year!

Speedy recovery.

posted Hide Post
A splendid time indeed B Man Sir Smile

Posts: 261 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Dec 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was a fun night. Great to see Bman and M. All the wines were showing well. The 1977 Port was the perfect cap to the evening. I was surprised we were able to hang out till 11 Woot

Wishing All a Happy New Year. Here's to Peace Love Health & Happiness in 2013. I will be popping a few nice Champagnes tonight with my family Banana

See you in 2013 Wink

Going where the water tastes like wine

Posts: 743 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Jul 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great time, good friends !
Thanks for to everyone for sharing.

It was nice seeing such a large group for our last tasting of the year.

Steve and J, you were both missed! Hope you are feeling better soon !

Happy New year to all !

JL

posted Hide Post
quote:
...I woke up this morning soooooooooooooooooooooo sick with a killer cold - did Steve and J sneak in and drink out of my glass when I wasn't looking?

You weren't the only one that woke up the next morning having caught a virus somewhere, bman.
While mine doesn't sound as bad as yours, I've a case of the coughs, weepy eyes and, yesterday but not today, chilly achiness. No 'spillage' Razz so it's just a cold that will soon pass.

A great evening on all fronts!

posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that K. Wonder who got us, especially since we were not sitting near each other for most of the evening Confused

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!